Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shanik
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-03-2010, 09:35 PM

Another incident

This incident is horrific beyond belief. I pray the little girl pulls through.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...referrer=yahoo

What is happening? Are attacks on children within a family unit on the increase? I know there are owners who don't deserve to have a television let alone a dog but this could be a decent family who have ended up in an awful situation.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 10:08 PM
What a tragic story. Poor little girl will probably be very frightened of the other dog they have of the same breed, I guess they will probably rehome them.

I know someone at work who had 2 English Bullmastiffs and one of them bit their 2 year old on the face (fortunately not seriously). They had let the child crawl into the dog's crate and grab hold of it's chew.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 10:50 PM
They were worried because it had bitten the brother but let it play near the daughter----madness!!

The other two dogs have been taken away and one was in season. Makes you wonder.

rune
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 11:22 PM
Very tragic, I hope the child recovers.

3 dogs, a bitch in season, tension heightened, previous signs of aggression and yet a child is with dog?

Mo
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 11:50 PM
A lovely picture of an overweight Mastiff, but no Dogue De Bordeaux!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 11:58 PM
Poor little girl.

I dont think this family were suited to keeping these types of dogs. A bitch in season in the same house is enough to make any male dog change character.
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Poor little girl!

Something similar happened to me when I was about 6 years old, I was severely bitten by someone else's doberman... fortunately I turned my head at the right moment so that the worst damage was done to my right ear (it was torn of)... the ear could by sewn back on and all scarring is under my hair, but it was a huge fright!!!

My luck was that we had two very sweet dogs of our own (a GSD and a crossmix terrier), so I never had a chance to develop a fear of dogs... I do stay away from dobermans though....
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Hi,

I hope the little girl can grow up happily with the other 2 dogs -a lthough I'm not convinced these people should have the dogs back tbh. Maybe they should be rehomed if they're not going to spey/neuter the remaining dogs, take them to training etc.

I have a friend who was snapped at by a male dog after taking the in-season bitch out of the car. Obviosuly he saw it as my friend taking HIS bitch away and he didn't like it. I know it's different circumstances, but I agree - an bitch in season can send a male dog loopy but people who aren't dog savvy wouldn't necessarily know this.

What I don't get is this - if the vets offered to train or retrain the dog rather than PTS, why didn't they accept? Or find out about rehoming to a family with no children? Maybe to people who have owned the breed before?

I have another freind who has a DDB bitch from rescue. She's the soppiest (and sloppiest!) dog in the world and wouldn't hurt a fly.

Personally, I think there's more to it than is being told. of course the media will dramatise it to make it sound worse. I'm not saying the little girl's injuries should be played down at all, but this smacks of sensationalism.

Also, I wonder if the father will be prsoecuted for the way in which he killed the dog. Being stabbed to death would mean the dog suffered. I accept he was angry but the dog was already in the garden (according to the report). It wasn't as though he ahd to stab the dog to get it off his daughter. He'd already dragged it off, so instead of seeing how his daughter is and getting her to hospital, he went chasing after the dog. Wow - what a great parent!

Laura xx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-03-2010, 11:14 AM
So sad for the poor little girl.. I hope she makes a full recovery mentally as well as physically.

Very tragic for the poor dog too, as others have said if they were offered re-training why did they they not take it ?

I was also going to make a point about having an in season bitch in the house whether that could of been a problems for this dog.

I sincerely hope the other two dogs find responsible homes.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2010, 11:15 AM
"The French Bullmastiff dog suddenly turned on her while she was playing with toys in her bedroom"
"She said: ‘Taylor was playing with the drawers and toys in her bedroom and the dog suddenly snapped."
"Charlene was worried about his behaviour and spoke to the vets as she was concerned about the children."

If she was that worried about the dog and the children why sis she not implement measures to keep the dogs away from the children.

"The French bullmastiff - also called the Bordeaux Bulldog - is a relatively short, stocky mastiff."
overweight

obviously they were totally unaware how to react to having male dogs with a bitch in season, the article didnt say if they were entire or not?

ATD x
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >