Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-02-2005, 08:18 AM

Help please!

Hi can someone give me advice about Max my Dally who is nearly 7.
Max excessively cleans his right back leg at the 'knee' and actually licks himself raw.

He is a very active dog, I do walk him twice a day for an hour each time, but he never stops running around whilst hes out he even tires Saffy out and shes only 18 months.

I took his to the vet and the vet checked him and did tests and ruled out skin problems of anything like that and said maybe he was doing it out of boredom.

Thing is this only really started occuring when I got Tia the Jack Russell, even though he didnt fight with her, she bullied him a lot.
If she wanted something he had she took it, hes not a fighter. Which we did find funny at first (her only being a JRT puppy) but then when we realised she was stressing him out and him being the long term resident, we regrettably had to find a new home for the JRT.

It has to be pointed out that we didnt have this problem when we introduced Saffy (Boxer) as a pup.

But even though we have found a new home for Tia the problem hasnt gone away, it has got slighly better but it seems to have become a compulsion now to lick his leg whenever he lies down.

Does anyone of anything else I can do to help him?

(Im not talking a massive wound by the way just a little raw patch on his leg)
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2005, 08:24 AM
HI Sue

Soz no advice... But I would agree about the stress causing it.

Can't you put something on that he doesnt like the taste off? Cos now it's probablely developed into a bad habit.....

Ickle Maxie boy
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-02-2005, 08:25 AM
Is there not an ointment that tastes horrible that could be put on his leg to sdtop him licking it. Thats what they do to help ppl stop biting their nails. Or put a lampshade on him to break the habit?? Lampshade = one of those big plastic collar things to stop them being able to lick or bite anywhere behind their head.

Edit to say: Sorry, had not read post above yet when wrote mine.
Carole
Supervisor

17-02-2005, 08:29 AM
the only thing I can suggest is bitter bite. or distracting him every time he does it.
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

17-02-2005, 09:54 AM
Thanx all for your suggestions.

Have tried the lampshade thing Max gets stressed with it on and keeps walking into things like a drunk.

Might try the Bitter bite stuff.
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-02-2005, 10:02 AM
haha ... i know I call it a lampshade, but what are they really called? A bucket collar?

Good luck Roxy
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2005, 10:04 AM
hay crazy gurl, what do you feed him? (i always go back to diet) try supplementing evening primrose oil into his food everyday (just half a tea spoon) for a week and see if it makes a differnence.... (this oil is good for skin)

also if its still stress, try to spend some time alone with him everyday, take an hours walk with only him, and show him that he is still wonderful even though he isnt the only dog anymore. I had a similar problem with Prinz, except he took it out on everything but himself!
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2005, 10:21 AM
Think it's called a Buster Collar?
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

17-02-2005, 10:27 AM
Thanx Jess, will try the evening primrose oil. He eats chicken and brown rice, mainly with vegetables once a week.

As for the taking him for a walk alone when we go for walk me, him and Saffy hes off lead most of the time as is Saffy and he just does his own thing. Hes not a clingy dog he just runs round and round the park for about n hour.

TBH I think now the stress has been removed it has become a compulsion now!
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-02-2005, 10:32 AM
aahh yes, a buster collar.Thanks sweep
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >