View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ssmith80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2008, 12:27 PM
considering its her first season and it was a mistake its much safer to take her to the vets for the injections than it is to let her have the puppies. (a lot cheaper, too!)

as far as im aware there is no more risk involved with the dog injections than there is with the human pill/s.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Will check but close together the jabs I think
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
Will check but close together the jabs I think
think its 48hrs appart, tegans had it twice with no ill effect, there are two diff types of drug that can be used, so the timeing is diff for each drug
red collar
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2008, 03:49 PM
I've seen studies suggesting an increase in the risk of pyometra, but at the moment I can't locate the full article online, just the abstract
http://veterinaryrecord.bvapublicati...act/162/23/746
Nothing in life is risk-free. A member on another forum took his bitch to the vet for the mismating jab, she came down with a uterine infection several days later (which the vet apparently put down to the jab), she had a course of ABs and last I saw online she had recovered. So, it's one of those decisions that's not straightforward.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by red collar View Post
I've seen studies suggesting an increase in the risk of pyometra, but at the moment I can't locate the full article online, just the abstract
http://veterinaryrecord.bvapublicati...act/162/23/746
Nothing in life is risk-free. A member on another forum took his bitch to the vet for the mismating jab, she came down with a uterine infection several days later (which the vet apparently put down to the jab), she had a course of ABs and last I saw online she had recovered. So, it's one of those decisions that's not straightforward.
one of the drugs that can be used, is the same drug used to treat pyo, thus the risk is greatly reduced,
woofinfinity
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-12-2011, 03:02 AM
Accidents happen. When it happened to my female a few years ago my vet assured me that as long as she gets the shot within 7 days the risk of pregnancy goes WAY down, but within 5 days is best. The main issue with the injection according to my vet is that it opens up a risk for pyometra so antibiotics are a must for a full week after given the injection; and, there is still a small chance the pregnancy takes or that the antibiotics will not prevent the pyometra but in my particular situation it was worth the risk at the advice of my favorite veterinarian. Just to give you an estimate of how much it ended up costing me with this particular vet, an immediate 'squeeze in' visit was $39, the injection was around $30, and the antibiotics were $25. An expensive mistake for sure, but it worked, whether she would have gotten pregnant without it who knows but the extra precaution ended up being worth it and a year later she had a planned, beautiful large healthy litter.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2