Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2008, 06:30 PM

Ignoring your dog.

When you first come home do you ignore your dogs until they are clam or do you talk to them as soon as you go in?

I have been reading alot of books lately as Dori has been different and not in a good way,
and I have been trying to work out how to help, it says in the one book The seven ages of mans best friend by Jan Fennell 9I know some people dont like her) that some dogs have a sort of a terrible 2's stage and to reassert yourself by showing them your the leader.
We have started to do the ignoring and she is behaving differently, she seems to be more relaxed. Also we have been giving them there food a bit differently and she eats it all, without me telling her for the first 10 minutes to eat it up.

S-J
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Sounds as if you might be winning then.
I'm naughty really cos as soon as I put my key in the door Mo does her talking noise. She almost sounds human. I find it so amusing I do it back to her.
I don't know what the neighbours must think of this whining conversation (am I bovvered??)
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2008, 06:57 PM
We ignore Jack when we first walk in the door, but only untill we have put down our bags, and go into a larger area, then the fun begins the only other time we ignore him is when he 'demands' to play, and he pulls all the tricks out of the bag to try to get us to play, it's so difficult to ignore him though, as he pulls some really cute faces
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2008, 06:59 PM
We ignore Bryan when we come in - just until he's stopped charging around or if he jumps up. Then he does his full body wiggle and he gets a pat

Also if one of us has been out and the other is at home with the dog, the one coming home always says hello to the other uman before saying hello to the dog.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by dori-katie View Post
When you first come home do you ignore your dogs until they are clam or do you talk to them as soon as you go in?
It depends on the dog , if it is prone to SA it is best not to make a big thing of your coming and going, otherwise yes it is lovely to greet your dog on returning home.
mcgregorkh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-05-2008, 07:02 PM
I ignore my 2 until they have calmed down, especially the pup. Khan is just bursting for attention and he knows the quicker he calms down the quicker he gets it. If Krystal gets over the top ie jumping up then he grabs her neck to tell her off and it works wonders. She still jumps at times but now it is either to the side of me or all four feet off the floor, rarely on me.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Hard to ignore Ollie the minute he hears the key in the back door he is in a hurry to get out, he very rarely jumps up but when he does he gets told down straight away and does I tend to sit on the seat near the back door and he wiggles round me for a fuss, he does take my arm to make sure I am going in and not out again and then will bring me a toy.
I must admit I like having him say hello when I get back home.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2008, 07:43 PM
I know alot of people do....friends of mine, as some have bouncy dogs when they first come in, or when visitors arrive, they reckon it works. Skye and Reah don't Bounce...thankfully, and Bruce just follows thier lead, again thankfully
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2008, 07:58 PM
mine are nutters,go bonkers when i come in!!!! i dont mind at all!!!!!! infact i like them to get excited when they see me,after all ive missed them LOADS myself!!!!!!
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2008, 08:01 PM
I do it all wrong and can't wait to see my lot, and I do make a huge fuss of them when I get home.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »