Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jblakeborough
New Member!
Male 

12-12-2012, 08:22 PM

Do you wash border terriers?

I ask this as we were told by the women we bought our pup off not to do so. I find this a little hard to believe but for the moment I've trusted this info. After 3 weeks, antibacterial mousse was doingthe trick but now after 1 trip to doggy day care under his belt he stinks! 1 more tomorrow any border terrier owners out there any advice?

Thanks

James
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Hello James welcome.
Not a BT owner but I trained with Airedales and Lakies terriers which have a similar coat.
Borders have a wire top coat and frequent washing should not be necessary because it can remove the natural oils and soften the coat.

Most dirt when dry can be removed by a good brushing, you can also put a pair of womens tights/stockings over a bristle brush and brush with that and it will collect dust and dirt.

If you dog really is covered in wet mud a wash with clean warm water is all that is necessaries followed by a good brush.
Antibacterial mousse is not required unless specifically prescribed by a vet for a skin condition.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2012, 11:08 PM
Hi.
No, you shouldnt bath a Border really, they do not require it and frequent bathing ruins and softens the top coat texture.

Im a little confused as to why you need to?
jblakeborough
New Member!
Male 

18-12-2012, 03:39 PM
We take him to a doggy daycare occasionally when I'm not working from home, when we pick him up he absolutely stinks. Along with a bit of grime etc from the floor.

We don't expect him to smell like roses or anything, hes a dog after all, its just that its particularly bad on occasions.

I may try a damp towel in future, followed by a dry off and good brush. The tight trick sounds good too.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2012, 06:53 AM
Originally Posted by jblakeborough View Post
We take him to a doggy daycare occasionally when I'm not working from home, when we pick him up he absolutely stinks. Along with a bit of grime etc from the floor.

We don't expect him to smell like roses or anything, hes a dog after all, its just that its particularly bad on occasions.

I may try a damp towel in future, followed by a dry off and good brush. The tight trick sounds good too.
Souds like an issue with the day care place

We used to use a home made dry shampoo; mix talc and baking powder.. apply then leave and then brush out
Roofs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-01-2013, 11:19 AM
My Border is 12 months old, the only time he gets a ‘bath’ is when he is covered in wet mud after a walk and I don’t want it all over the house and even then I use a shallow bath and a warm shower head to just rinse the mud of his legs and belly, I’ve never used a shampoo on him, I’ve never had to wash the main part of his body. (And if I’m particularly mean he gets done with the hosepipe at the stables, he hates this though!)

He smells nicely of warm trainers, not a bad smell, it’s just his smell, not bad for something that’s never been washed!

He’s certainly not a precious dog either, we do lots of country walking and he’s at the stable yard with me most evenings so he has access to some damn stinky stuff!