View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2015, 09:27 PM
Aren't you just wonderful, PONlady? I'm glad to know someone else has dealt with this. THANK YOU! With my mom constantly telling me I'm being mean to him... it's all very frustrating. We are going to keep at it. I will try different veggies and see if I can get him into something. He will play with carrots, so perhaps I can convince him to eat some.

I hope he's lost some weight this next weigh in... I'll be getting them on camera so everyone can see. Haven't tried new ways of feeding him. Think I'll put his bowl upside down in the grass and let him move it and eat while pushing it along. That might help him be less upset.
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-05-2015, 09:50 PM
That's so lovely of you, but really, I'm nobody special at all, just someone been there, done it, got the tee-shirt,

I love the idea of putting the bowl upside-down! I might use that one myself with Esau, it's quick and easy to do and costs nothing. I'm always looking for new 'serving suggestions'

I'll keep all my fingers crossed that Nigredo's lost some weight at his next weigh-in. Don't feel like giving up if he hasn't - just feel more determined that you'll work even harder for next time!

He's saving other dogs' lives and now he needs you to make HIS life better, happier, longer, and that's exactly what you're doing. Don't listen to your Mom - you go, girl!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2015, 09:57 PM
Thank you. This is very new to me. Jade's weight has always been okay, she gained a tad as she got older but still not fat at all, and my previous male was always as skinny as a rail and people called him "anorexic" and "starved" but he was just skinny. He got fed all he wanted, just was naturally skinny. So totally fat dog? And this young? Very new to me. He's my right hand man, and I want him happy and healthy as long as possible... so we will certainly keep at it. Thanks for the uplifting words, we TOTALLY needed them.
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2015, 03:59 PM
You sound so like me - I had never had a dog with weight issues before and it happened when he was under 2 years, as well! I went through all kinds of guilt, both that I'd caused the weight-gain, that I wasn't fast enough getting it off, and that I was being cruel to my dog - first by feeding him too much, and then by 'forcing' him to be on a diet!!

You aren't to blame, you cannot know if a dog is going to be 'weighty' until it happens, the only thing you can do is address it when it does - and that's exactly what you ARE doing! I know that negative comments on top of the guilt pangs only make matters worse - you need encouragement to keep going and reassurance that you are doing the right thing. If I can give you those in short measures, it's better than nothing - better would be support from your Mom but hey-ho, that's how it goes sometimes!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2015, 01:12 AM
Lifted Nigredo a bit ago... and he felt lighter. Went to have a look at him and I THINK he's finally lost a LITTLE weight.

I can SWEAR he looks a tad thinner. We're going to keep at it, he's getting used to the reduced food and is less buggy etc. Just wanted to do a progress report.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2015, 04:27 AM
Have you got a before photo of him in the same position?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2015, 05:07 AM
At the beginning of this thread Brenda. There are several photos of him throughout this thread.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2015, 01:38 PM
Yes I think he has lost a little bit. Well done you.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-06-2015, 02:01 PM
Good work M! Proud of you for sticking to it. He def looks thinner!
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6