Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 09:06 PM

How do I make puppy smell nicer?

I have a normal puppy who smells lovely...to me. However if he wants to keep coming in to work with me he needs to smell a little less doggy! Any suggestions?
fluffybland
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Nothing better than puppy smell i agree!! However, i bought some really good deodorising wipes made by ByoFresh, they were recommended by my local pet shop to get rid of the smell of fox poop,(which like so many dogs my boy is fond of rolling in!), and to my amazement they actually worked, but without an equally overpowering perfume smell! The packet says they are 'proven to reduce dog odour'.
feelion
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-01-2010, 10:25 PM
We have Bob Martins anti bacterial "rub down" wipes... they smell of Aloe Vera and are great for neutralising particular smellies like fox poo etc and smell lovely

(personally i LOVE my doggy smell.. but he does occasionally like to roll in the smelly stuff and these do the trick til i get him in the bath)
LoweherzLeos
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-01-2010, 10:38 PM
johnson and johnsons baby powder. on a short coated breed cover dogs eyes when dog is stood, squeeze it on their back then rub it in with your hand, then allow dog to shake to remove excess.
on long coated breed brush hair opposite direction of growth then brush through with comb or slicker, depending on coat type, allow to shake to remove excess.

this stuff is also brilliant from preventing matts. i use it behind the ears, my breed has a mane, and in the frilly knickers. it does not create a film on the coat like most coat conditioners and sheens, which actually ruin the coat
LoweherzLeos
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by fluffybland View Post
Nothing better than puppy smell i agree!! However, i bought some really good deodorising wipes made by ByoFresh, they were recommended by my local pet shop to get rid of the smell of fox poop,(which like so many dogs my boy is fond of rolling in!), and to my amazement they actually worked, but without an equally overpowering perfume smell! The packet says they are 'proven to reduce dog odour'.
the best thing to remove fox poop smell is tomato sauce. rub it in to the effected area and either remove with baby wipe or rinse out with water
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 11:01 PM
I feel for you, to be honest!
They don't have that special puppy-smell for very long, it's unique and gorgeous, and is an important part of having a little baby dog.

I used to take my pup to visit a friend most evenings when he was small & woolly, but something wasn't right - the friend wore a strong aftershave (Jovan musk) and it always wore onto my small pup obscuring his baby scent.

Odd, but I felt resentful, because my dog always smelled of THAT rather than his real puppy scent. There was nothing I could do to get him smelling like MY puppy again afterwards... it was irritating and it all felt wrong somehow.

He is a grown up dog now but I would have loved more time to have had him as a puppy smelling 'au naturel' and not stinking of something that wasn't him, if you get what I mean. It seemed to be an instinctive thing. I even resorted to buying some cheap perfume to try and get rid of the aftershave smell, but all the time all I really wanted was his real puppy smell, and to smell of himself.

That recent TV programme The Secret Life Of Dogs highlighted how puppies can raise our own oxytocin levels by their sight & scent...

If I am ever lucky enough to have another puppy, there's no way he or she will be acquiring unwanted scents until at least 6 months old, when they lose that baby smell.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-01-2010, 02:57 AM
How old is it? Very young puppies have what is called puppy breath, sort of an ammonia smell. As far as I know, nothing can be done about it except wait about a month.

As for general doggy odor, a good daily brushing with a soft bristled brush should control it.

Note, check its ears. Infections often give a strong doggy odor. The only solution is antibiotics from the vet. They will quickly clear up the problem.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by wallaroo View Post
I have a normal puppy who smells lovely...to me. However if he wants to keep coming in to work with me he needs to smell a little less doggy! Any suggestions?
Hi Gill if a dog smells strongly there may be underlaying cause so rather than masking smells it is best to look for a cause.
You recently posted a thread about your dog licking his bottom and tail area, did you get his anal glands checked. Anal gland problems can make your dog smell unpleasant and licking the area transfers the problem to the dogs mouth.
Cockers can also get a problem with the folds of skin at the side of the mouth, they can become infected and this gives a fishy smell, check there for any smell.

I would also look at the type of food you are feeding, this too can make a dog smelly.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Why not just wear more perfume yourself, and get a strong air-freshener for your work-place?
Are you sure it`s the dog that smells - it could be his bedding or the carpet.
LoweherzLeos
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by LoweherzLeos View Post
the best thing to remove fox poop smell is tomato sauce. rub it in to the effected area and either remove with baby wipe or rinse out with water
that was supposed to read affected area lol
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >