View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2014, 12:41 AM
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but ear cropping and tail docking has a more sinister history than official breed specifications. Specifically a fighting dog had it's ears cropped to make it look more aggressive, permanently upright ears makes a tough guy statement. Also tails and ears were cut down so a competitor couldn't grab them in battle.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2014, 02:59 AM
True, true. I don't see why the pricked ear style is supposedly macho? Why not just get a naturally pointed eared breed such as a Husky or German Shepherd...
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-04-2014, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by Mr.Bulldog View Post
Its fine mjfromga you had touched on a good point, and yes debate is never a bad thing. I should probably say that I never experienced this issue personally as it was primarily before my time with the breed docking is illegal here anyway and my imported Koura bitch certainly still has ears, any of the old guys in the AB community will tell you the same story though, we cannot deny the experience of others afterall.
I think part of the confusion over what I said may be due to the fact that when I say "hound ear" people are immediately envisaging huge scenthound ears hanging half way to the floor when this is not necessarily the case
. As far as cropping styles seen on those old dogs it pretty much ran the gamut from the "no ear" you might see on for example the APBT, Bully Kutta or Alabai to the "high" style you would associate with Boxers or Dobes. As far as the aesthetic value of the cropping was concerned its almost irrelevant, an ear cannot be faulted if it has been hacked off and the standard permits this, this was later amended to close this loophole.
I agree with you when you say " you cant deny the experience of others"

I did not envisage huge basset type ears when you said "hound type ears" I understood you to mean , larger ears then you would like.
Kitkat_
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-04-2014, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
It may just be covered under general animal welfare laws. At least with tail docking some could argue it is in the dog's best interest if they are working dogs - but ear cropping, was only ever for two purposes really, fighting/baiting, and looks.
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Pastoral and guard dogs used to have cropped ears because they were wearing spike collars. The spikes faced outwards and were there as protection from bites to the neck by bears and wolves, floppy ears would have easily been hurt by the spikes so they cropped them.
Apart from that it was mainly for baiting and dog fighting, and later on for looks. Why, I do not know. How anyone can find cropped ears aesthetically pleasing is a mystery to me.
Originally Posted by lovemybull View Post
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but ear cropping and tail docking has a more sinister history than official breed specifications. Specifically a fighting dog had it's ears cropped to make it look more aggressive, permanently upright ears makes a tough guy statement. Also tails and ears were cut down so a competitor couldn't grab them in battle.

It was very beneficial for fighting dogs to have full ears, hence why you rarely see cropped ears on a real APBT. If your fighting dog had full ears it gave more protection to the ear canal and also if the opponents dog held onto your dogs ear, it gave your dog a good chance to swing underneath the other dog and latch onto its throat.
Cynci
New Member!
Female 

09-06-2014, 07:09 AM
all the answeres you want are at link below-email them if you need clarity on anything

http://bit.ly/SGMkuj
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2014, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Cynci View Post
all the answeres you want are at link below-email them if you need clarity on anything

http://bit.ly/SGMkuj
I'm afraid in the link you posted I can't find answers to my original question. But thank you for taking the trouble to get involved.
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6