View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2004, 05:25 PM
We all feed the best we can afford and I would doubt the problem is the food but there may be a supplement that is not too expensive that you could try, or wait and see what your vet has to say. Is there anything you can think of that may have set the attack off, if so when your dog has recovered you will then be on your guard should you think he has been stressed again. It could be something as simple as another dog going for him or a bitch in season if he is prone to a problem, but there is not too much you can do about it you can't wrap him in cotton wool as that would not be fair to him or you.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2004, 05:28 PM
Im sure it can be stress related too ?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2004, 06:34 PM
She's only 8 months old, and I can't think of anything that can have caused her stress at the time it started, or since then! I've racked my brains, anmd can't think of anything
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2004, 07:18 AM
As she is only 8 months the very fact of leaving the nest could have caused it, or may be her first few weeks were not all they might have been and it is common for the first outbreak to be during the first year, usually the first sign is at 4 to 5 months and often goes un-noticed as it will just be a small area on the face or front feet, those areas that are in contact with the dam when suckering. I is more common in breeds with short coats although I have had in a breed with a long double coat, this is unusual but can happen, in my case it followed castration.

Some people do not accept that the tendency to have periods of lowered immunity and therefore a tendency to have this type of mange is hereditary and continue breeding from effected animals. This does the effected dog no good and may pass the problem on.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2004, 09:19 AM
Thankyou for the information
She has had it since she was about 4/5 months, but the vets treated it as a fungal infection.

Like you say, it will probably be from her mother, and something has lowered her nimmunity.
I will speak to my vet, and ask what my have caused it.

Don't worry though, she is being spayed, and I won't be breeding from her (I wasn't planning to anyway - don't think I could cope! lol)
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2004, 09:26 AM
You will have to watch for it again when she is spayed as that may cause her to become stressed.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2004, 03:57 PM
Today, Teagan has really been scratching and biting at herself, and making the patches of mange sore.
Is there anything easily available that I can put on, to give her some relief?

Thanks
Hev
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2004, 04:05 PM
The Demodectic mange should not be itchy, it sounds as if she may have a secondary infection or the diagnosis is wrong, which I would doubt. The vet should be able to give you something that she can take short term until they get the full results back, it is a strong drug but worth it short term to stop her damaging herself.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2004, 04:15 PM
I was wondering if it could be the stuff I had to treat her with, thats making her itch.
I had to 'bathe' her in it - soak her right down to the skin, and not wash it off.

Do you think maybe she's illergic to it, or it's 'working' so is making her itch?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2004, 05:03 PM
Just phoned the vets surgery, and I have to take Teagan in this evening for them to check her.
Her skin is so sore, weeping and bleeding Poor little thing
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »