no vomiting
doggie breath not foul
eyes clear
ears clear
teeth ok
no excessive scratching
absence of dandruff, spots, lumps, bumps etc
playing/active without being hyper.

All in all what I consider "normal" for them, health in any creature is not an exact science, but so far the application of common sense is working for me

I probably use much the same criteria as I used with my children as babies before they could tell me what was wrong with them
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by bajaluna View Post
we have 7 dogs all different breeds all shiny coats all healthy dogs,which breeds are not supposed to have shiny coats
Mine Amongst others.

Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Poodle coats don't really 'shine' due to the nature and texture but I check to make sure the coats aren't scurffy, that the dogs are a good weight, their eyes are clean and bright and that their poos are good!
Becky
That's what I generally look for too.

Coat is in good condition, course guard hairs, not too soft etc
Good clean teeth, no bad gums and the right colour, good breathing, good breath
Clean, bright, alert eyes
Clean inside ears and in around private parts
Good consistency poo, wee not smelling too strong etc and frequency of both being good
Energetic, bright, confident and playful
good weight, good appetite for food and water

I'm sure there are some I cant think of right now.

It was just a general question as to what everyone things.....Mistyblue, dogs dont necessarily look ill when they are a bit unhealthy or have an unhealthy livestyle........some children look abolutely normal after living on McDonalds, chocolates and crisps but it doesnt mean they are healthy
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-01-2008, 05:59 PM
How they walk is also a sign imo, if the way walk suddenly changes there can be an underlying problem.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Also signs of stress such as excesive yawning and "licking there lips".
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Mine Amongst others.

Good consistency poo, wee not smelling too strong etc and frequency of both being good

It was just a general question as to what everyone things.....Mistyblue, dogs dont necessarily look ill when they are a bit unhealthy or have an unhealthy livestyle........some children look abolutely normal after living on McDonalds, chocolates and crisps but it doesnt mean they are healthy
Same here

Good coat condition
Well toned
Clean teeth
Good colour gums
Clean ears
Good consistancy of poop
Bright, happy, energetic behaviour
Good weight
Good apitite (food and water)
how often they have needed to go to the vets through 'illness' (and the seriousness of such illnesses)
vets opinion
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Mine Amongst others.

This is much the same as I look for. Unfortunately, all of the above was apparant in Nala once, including no head shaking, dropped ears or scratching of ears when one day she had blood running down the side of her face. Her eardrum had been perforated by her ear hairs growing the wrong way, combined with a little wax it was enough to grow through her ear drum She never showed any symptoms so some dogs can be very hard to judge as 'happy or healthy'. (The others are all wims and would have screamed the house down if it was them )
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Okay...
I know my dogs are healthy when
1) Their coats are clean and 'debris' free, no dandruff, no flaky bits, nothing that shouldn't be there...including a bad smell most of the time(except when they have had a mud bath of course).
2) For my breeds their coats are shiny and silky.
3) Their skin is a nice healthy pink colour, no spots, lumps, bumps or flaky bits.
4) They have no discharges from anywhere.
5) Their eyes are clean and shiny.
6) Their breath doesn't smell.
7) Their teeth are white and tartar free (including my older dogs).
Their pads and paws are crack free.
9) They move easily, no indication of pain or stiffness in joint/muscles.
10) They eat and drink well...FOR THEM and urinate and defecate accordingly!
11) Faeces are solid, a good colour, not too bulky, not too much and easily passed.
12) They are alert and keen, no lethargy, responsive.
13) Their breathing is good...no coughs/sneezes etc.
14) They sleep well.

I have probably missed something out...but that's a basic...
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 08:24 PM
No hot spots on ears/skin.....
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks to Malady for a genuinly interesting question. I was speaking with a friend of mine about this exact problem, and we came to the conclusion that it is all relative.
I don't mean to be big headed about the subject, but most people don't have the experience of so many dogs, nor the interest of studying them (I have to admit it is a geeky subject that I am in love with ) So I am suggesting that COMPARING dogs to dogs gives you a good grounding to then state 'this dog is healthy'.

Today I met a 5 month old lab puppy that I immediatly guessed was fed on one of what I consider (based on my findings) to be a 'lesser' dog food. The first thing that came to mind was his drab coat, and I guessed the food straight off.
Going to shows, and being out and about, I have actually guessed which dogs were fed on a 'natural' diet, something I am slightly concerned about. (Esp. over the age of 2) If there is a difference that is obvious to me, why are not more vets picking this up. (Or perhaps that is a question that has an answer I will be frightened to hear)

p.s. the friend I was speaking to has a poodle with the long hair, who positively shines. He has been fed a natural diet from day 1 and is approaching 3.

Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
Also signs of stress such as excesive yawning and "licking there lips".
This calming signal can be a good sign.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 09:10 PM
i do a daily inspection on all my dogs so i do otice if there is a small diffrence or a problem i have checked my findngs with my vet and have been correct on most things so i am sure my dogs are healthy and happy. the only time i could not tell what the problem was is when i was told my trigger had a heart murmur the only hting i had noticed was that breathng was a bit fast some times which was why i had took him in to see the vets.
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »