Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
vickyg13
New Member!
Female 

09-11-2008, 07:18 PM

what to do if my puppy is humping

my puppy has started humping my arm a little bit, he is not too bad at the moment. i am wanting to stud my dog when he is older so i am not sure what is the best route to take when he humps. can any1 help ???
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 07:23 PM
Ignore it. I.e. - get up and walk away, don't be tempted to laugh, tell him off etc, all of wish might give some reward and turn it into more of an issue.

Makes sure that everyone in the family ignores him and no one laughs at him

His hormones will be doing all sorts of things so he will may well have these urges, sometimes you have to settle for a lesser of two evils e.g my friends entire male takes his bed into the hall and humps it.
vickyg13
New Member!
Female 

09-11-2008, 07:25 PM
right so u sugest not to shout at him, because i dont want to put him off it if i will be studding him ?
Gillbo64
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Just push him off gently but firmly & leave it at that. Don't shout at him, he's just following his instincts.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by vickyg13 View Post
right so u sugest not to shout at him, because i dont want to put him off it if i will be studding him ?
In general shouting is not a good method to use regularly as puppies/dog/children (lots animals infact) are rewarded by certain things e.g you looking at them, touching them, talking to them. If you shout at him or push him off you are looking at him, talking to him and touching him.....all of which can be very rewarding.
vickyg13
New Member!
Female 

09-11-2008, 07:29 PM
ok thanks for that advice x
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 07:32 PM
No worries - it is normal behaviour so don't worry about it ......be pleased he is small, we used to have a Bermese Mountain dog come to classes who tried to do this when he was excited....i am only 5ft2 and the behaviourist isn't much taller! lol!
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2008, 10:59 AM
IS this your first dog??

Did you get him specifically to stud?

If you are "studding" him do you intend to show him?
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-11-2008, 06:22 PM
he is practicing domanance,normal, and i agree,ignore it and dont make a fuss,i agreee with Caritn
Lunakitty321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2008, 10:18 PM
I have never had a male dog before, and I am just curious as to what would happen if the dog was doing this to another dog?

a friend's parents had a little dog (male) they they had planned on using for studding, and he was humping their more submissive larger dog (male)...and the larger dog just ignored it and let it happen....a year later he was still doing it, and as often as 2 or 3 times a day...and often finishing up on him. They didn't want to do anything about it because the woman advising them told them not to punish the behavior. But this just doesn't seem "right" to me. Maybe it is?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >