View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 07:01 PM

Calling experienced cat owners or members of catsey.com???

Hi all,

I don't want to join up to catsey as I really wouldn't use it a lot so feel its wrong to join just to ask a question so thought either cat owners here or members who were also members of catsey could ask there if they don't know!!

My 7 or 8 year old moggy frequently gets cystitis and has a particularly bad bout just now, she normally gets go cat food, but I have given her tins of purine Gourmet Solitaire Duck and garden vegetable today and have added a little glucosamine (as apparently thats good for the health of her bladder lining???) and bought her cranberry treats.

Does anyone have any advice of what else I can do till I get to vets on Monday? And also can anyone reccommend a food I can feed her in the future that might help prevent recurrent attacks??

Thanks
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 07:44 PM
This unfortunately is a common problem in Cats. one of mine is 19yrs old and in all that time she has had cystitis 3 times and nothing else!

There are specific dietry foods (NONE prescription) for Cats with this problem, and also a product called "Cystaid" which is NOT a prescription drug.
http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/prodinfo.asp?number=CYSTAID

A combination of these would give your Cats the best chance of staying cystitis free. Obviously your Vet will need to advise.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks a lot for that Dawn.

She hasnt tried to pass urine for the last few hours and no spotting. But am pretty sure a vets visit required on Mon (or maybe tues as bank hol here mon) she still has bright eyes and is purring happily and lets me poke and prod her tummy. She doesnt whine or cry even when passing urine.

Will have a look at the links as am sure her food up to now not helping. I just hate her to be in pain. If still passing wee drops of blood tomorrow will prob phone emergency vets. Even though she has had it several times vet has never reccommended specific food etc but I would like to try to prevent it happening.

Thankfully she likes her cranberry treats shes had quite a few - hope they help

Thanks again - off to look at links
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 09:03 PM
No probs, I know the Cystaid helps, the lady that bred my British shorthairs uses it on one of hers, and thankfully the cat has gone almost 3yrs without a reccurance.

Its very painful for them and a full bladder can actually kill them, it must be awful.

Best of luck.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Well Toots was back at vets today as she is still bleeding

She got an anitbiotic injection, 2 shots of painkiller and a bottle of metacam away that has to be given daily.

But the good news is the vet couldnt feel any crystals in her bladder but she does think she is in pain and discomfort.

Poor wee lamb is curled up in Bens bed just now sleeping
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Aww bless her poor thing, I was told to put some cranberry juice in Maddys water when she had it but luckily (*touches wood - don't want to tempt fate!*) none of my cats have had this problem.