View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
queenie
New Member!

27-01-2005, 06:26 PM

Palpitations!!!!

Does anybody get palpitations on a day to day basis? Missed heartbeats, thumps and bumps etc. My doc says everybody has them, but nobody else I know has this. Just curious am I the only one?
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2005, 07:51 PM
The only time i get a missed heartbeat is when I see my hubby ops:
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2005, 07:52 PM
Aw staffy thats really sweet

I do queenie, its quite common
traybabe
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2005, 08:08 PM
Me too!!!
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2005, 08:11 PM
omg lol i get em when i see my bank statements
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2005, 08:17 PM
Me too sally!
CBT
Dogsey Senior

27-01-2005, 08:21 PM
they are very common
common causes are :
stress
tiredness/lack of sleep
low blood sugar
too much caffeine/nicotine or alchohol
feeling anxious

I get them if I havent slept well, If someone gives me a fright, or if I have anything with caffeine in it (lucozade irn bru etc) and no it doesnt mean theres anything wrong with you at all.

Gentle Exercise is a good one for helping them go away, as is deep and controlled breathing.

If you are finding your heart is racing a lot as well as the "fluttering" feeling, try running your wrists under a cold tap and taking a few deep breaths, this has worked for me in the past.
I suffer from a sleep disorder called night terrors which means that most nights, shortly after going to bed, I jump back up out of bed while Im still half asleep and sometimes I shout, yell, run about etc its a bit mad really, but anyway, when it happens my heart races really fast due to the adrenaline surge that wakes me up and makes me jump out of bed, so I run my wrists under the cold tap and that does the trick, or if its really bad, I go stand out in the garden and the coldness on the bare feet usually both wakes me up and calms me down!
I have read on a sleep disorder forum that some people injure themselves really badly jumping out of bed, and bumping into doors or falling downstairs wheile they do this, so I think Im quite lucky touch wood

Apparently its quite common, I used to think I was just mad and that was why but then I discovered some info about it on the net and all the symptoms fitted
CBT
Dogsey Senior

27-01-2005, 08:26 PM
hmmm just re-read my post and thought Id better add that when I do the mad running about in the garden thing in the middle of the night I am wearing clothes!!! just incase anyone wondered ops:

I have to sleep with jammies on every night because of it, otherwise Id probably get lifted by the police for being a crazy nude person or something
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-01-2005, 08:29 PM
There are a few different kinds of palpitations. Some are caused by over stimulation, by stress, or by external means like too much caffeine,i.e. too much coffe or coca cola. Palpitations, are faster than usual heart beats.

Another sort would be an irregular rapid heart beat called paroxysmal (in short bursts) Atrial fibrillation. Or even AF over an extended time period.
Missed beats are called extra systoles, or ectopic beats, and the severity depends upon the number and regularity of the ectopics, and whether they are unifocal (arising in the same area of the heart) or multi focal (arising in several different areas).

Have you had an Elecro Cardio Graph (ECG)?

Dawn R.

Dawn R. (ex Coronary Care Nurse)
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2005, 08:29 PM
pmsl CBT

They wouldn't be far wrong would they...u being a crazy person I mean
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >