View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2010, 05:15 PM
If you are certain she is Border/Parson, then according to those breeds she is overweight, however its a guide and each dog should be taken individually. For me, she is carrying too much weight, there should be a dip behind her ribcage, I cant see that, but photos can be very deceptive. if you feel she is not too heavy, then chances are, for her size she is fine. My biggest male Border is 8.5 kilos last weigh.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2010, 05:24 PM
I would say maybe a little bit. She doesnt look to have a tuck up in that picture, although her back legs are right back and its hard to tell in pictures. She is your dog, and if you are happy with her then I wouldnt worry to much. Its not like she is very fat or anything like that!
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
With Parsons and Borders you should be able to span them, if you cant, they are too big.
Im sorry, bit thick. Whats span them?

Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Certainly doesn't look 3/4 of a stone overweight! You would be getting people accuse you of cruelty if she lost that much weight!

A terrier show we went to once Parker had won best male terrier and it was between him and the best female terrier (Welsh) for best-in-show. The judge gave it to Parker because she said the bitch was a bit overweight. The owner was really offended and stormed off-wouldn't shake hands with me! Funnily enough Parker had just been on a diet to lose a pound or two but your dog doesn't look overweight at all.
Thank you. I felt it was a lot of weight he said she needs to lose, thats what suprised me.

If you are certain she is Border/Parson, then according to those breeds she is overweight, however its a guide and each dog should be taken individually. For me, she is carrying too much weight, there should be a dip behind her ribcage, I cant see that, but photos can be very deceptive. if you feel she is not too heavy, then chances are, for her size she is fine. My biggest male Border is 8.5 kilos last weigh.
Thanks for your reply. Thats the breeds we were told she was but she is a lot taller and bigger built than both breeds so I think there must be something else in there to account for that and I dont really want to compare her to those breeds to see if she's correct. I can accept she may be carrying a couple of extra pounds (bit like her owner!) But three quarters of a stone is a lot for her and Im sure she would look unhealthely thin if she lost that much. I will get my vet to weigh her and take their advice. If they believe she is overweight, I will get onto that. I dont want to make her unhealthy as she heads into her middle years. Thanks for the advice.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
I would say maybe a little bit. She doesnt look to have a tuck up in that picture, although her back legs are right back and its hard to tell in pictures. She is your dog, and if you are happy with her then I wouldnt worry to much. Its not like she is very fat or anything like that!
Thanks for the reply. I was happy with her weight, she's a really picky eater so Im just happy when she does have a full meal! And I have no intention of letting her get any bigger.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Of course she`s not over weight! The man`s a pillock. She`s lovely.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Of course she`s not over weight! The man`s a pillock. She`s lovely.
Thank you. Thats one of the names we called him!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
Im sorry, bit thick. Whats span them?

Thanks for your reply. Thats the breeds we were told she was but she is a lot taller and bigger built than both breeds so I think there must be something else in there to account for that and I dont really want to compare her to those breeds to see if she's correct. I can accept she may be carrying a couple of extra pounds (bit like her owner!) But three quarters of a stone is a lot for her and Im sure she would look unhealthely thin if she lost that much. I will get my vet to weigh her and take their advice. If they believe she is overweight, I will get onto that. I dont want to make her unhealthy as she heads into her middle years. Thanks for the advice.
You should be able to put your hands around their ribcage behind the shoulder and they meet above and below.

Id say a Whippet may of sneaked in there too.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2010, 06:16 PM
You should be able to put your hands around their ribcage behind the shoulder and they meet above and below.

Blimey I can only just do that with Lily but she has got a very deep ribcage.

Oh and I've seen Tilly run so I would say you are spot on there!
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2010, 06:21 PM

Well I cant quite do that but she does have a very deep chest and as I say she's bigger than both breeds so would that make a difference.
As for whippet, who knows! She's certainly overweight for a whippet though!!

Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
Blimey I can only just do that with Lily but she has got a very deep ribcage.

Oh and I've seen Tilly run so I would say you are spot on there!
She's got the speed. Maybe i could put her in the lurcher classed. Whippet x something fat and hairy!
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
She's got the speed. Maybe i could put her in the lurcher classed. Whippet x something fat and hairy!
I was thinking you should have put her in the pedigree class actually. I mean, she looks like she could be a Standard Poodle. Or type. Maybe...
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >