Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2006, 06:45 PM

Settle an argument help..

For some morbid reason i don't even know why we came onto the subject but my husand and i have a problem.

We were talking about when only children murder their parents (i told you it was morbid) what happens to their inheritence?

I always presumed they didn't get anything even if the will leaves them as sole beneficary.

He says they do.

Who is right?
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-08-2006, 06:48 PM
A prisoner cannot benefit from their crime so the money would go to the state if no other family members were alive.
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2006, 06:50 PM
I knew i was right wooooooo hooooo point scored over OH wooo hooooo

Cheers Steve
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2006, 06:52 PM
They do not inherit anything

Murderers cannot inherit from their victims

The same applies for spouses who murder their partners
traybabe
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2006, 07:01 PM
If someone murdered their partner though and pleaded not guilty and was let out on bail - then sold their joint house with equity then they can then keep the money - as until the trial they are innocent until proven guilty!!!

Tracy
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2006, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by traybabe
If someone murdered their partner though and pleaded not guilty and was let out on bail - then sold their joint house with equity then they can then keep the money - as until the trial they are innocent until proven guilty!!!

Tracy
Er no they can't as until the murder charge goes before a court the property cannot be sold

A local GSD breeder(many years ago)murdered her husband(did it with the help of her lover)She tried to sell their house(she was bailed as it was believed she wasn't a risk to anyone else). She even got as far as getting a buyer but when the searches were done for the deeds it was halted & the sale failed. The house was sold after the trial(was found guilty)& her husband's family inherited all the money(they had no kids)

When she was released she tried to claim Widows Allowance(as it was then)& an occupational pension based on her husband's records That failed too
traybabe
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2006, 09:54 PM
Well it has happened recently in this area and there was a big thing in the papers about it as the family were in uproar - not because he was in a will but he legally owned the property jointly with her.

The government has not put any legislation in place to stop it as they regard the person as 'innocent until proven guilty'
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2006, 06:20 AM
Think that is different, if the home is/was owned jointly then you can sell your own part of your own property, could be she owned most of it, you would not be able to use the cash from the part you do not own that would have to wait for probate. A case of the papers stiring again I would think.