View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 09:01 PM
But the key issue is that even if a breeder DOES health test, the KC does not PREVENT them breeding with DIABOLICAL scores/results?

So why would I want to join such a scheme?
cazz_mm
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-07-2011, 09:24 PM
I always get asked what breed Sadie is - She is greyhound cross deerhound an that's what I tell people... And she was bread for a specific purpose, even if I don't personally agree with it - hunting (but she failed and as such has made an awesome pet!).

It seems to me that these "designer dogs" are bred with a certain target market in mind - those who want to be able to boast about their "jack-a-poo" or "puggle". I have known several dogs bread for hunting (but not been hunted) - mostly beddy x greys/whippets - I've never heard anyone call these by anything other than their cross or simply "lurcher"... though I still think that they are, at the heart of it, mongrels! But one thing that REALLY annoys me is that insurance companies will charge more if you say the breed of your dog is a lurcher (which I believe is a type, not breed) than if you say it's a mongrel!!!

My final comment is that a lot (but certainly not all) of these designer crosses come from back yard breeders, with little or no experience in breeding, just found a different breed dog for their bitch. some will let pups go at 5 weeks and they have never been seen by a vet - ALL about the money with these
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
But the key issue is that even if a breeder DOES health test, the KC does not PREVENT them breeding with DIABOLICAL scores/results?

So why would I want to join such a scheme?
It is all there is at the moment though. I think the KC generally does an awful job but if it could be extended and tightened up it might help. It won't happen it was just a thought.

It won't stop a lot of people, it won't stop farm bred collies, JRT's, lurchers, springers etc----at the moment nothing will. Except maybe the recession.

People next to me at the rescue centre boot sale had a couple of springers and a litter at home----only one sold and she was definitely trying to get people interested----including me. Ironic really considering where we were!

rune
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-07-2011, 05:31 AM
I think that an accreditation scheme for all breeders irrespective of what they are breeding is a must ( and I'm hoping that the Dog Advisory Council will come out of hiding and tell us about the one they are supposed to be formulating !. )

I have no issues with crossbreeds as long as they are ethically bred - get them registered and health tested - get them out of the clutches of the backyard breeder or puppy farmer and put them on an equal footing with pedigree dogs i.e trace their health down several generations and record their longevity etc so that puppy buyers can make a REAL comparison .

At the moment those that want an ethically bred Cockerpoo or Cavashon struggle to find such breeders - if they won't change their mind about the kind of dog they want they inevitably end up buying from unethical breeders - personally I'm all for KC registration of ethically bred, fully health tested cross breeds - at least that way we'll have some kind of recording system in pace for these types of dogs
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 06:04 AM
Melnola (4 x WT Chs in one litter) and the "Little" dogs bred by Rod Roberts (GSD x BC) also WT Chs.
Lots of ASD x BC in obedience, Very popular & Successful X.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 06:07 AM
The kennel club is about pedigree dogs, not so called designer crossbreds. These dogs can go on a register if they want to compete in dog sports etc or just register I suppose but they are not pedigree.

I have met several of these dogs, some are lovely some are not, I think the majority are bred for one reason only.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 06:15 AM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
The kennel club is about pedigree dogs, not so called designer crossbreds. These dogs can go on a register if they want to compete in dog sports etc or just register I suppose but they are not pedigree.

I have met several of these dogs, some are lovely some are not, I think the majority are bred for one reason only.
The kennel club is about ALL dogs!
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 06:24 AM
The kennel club is about ALL dogs!
The registration is about pedigree dogs, you wouldn't be able to apply for a pedigree for a crossbred. Quite a few of them don't even come from the same group.

They will register crosses, but not in the same sense as the pedigree dogs.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 06:30 AM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
The registration is about pedigree dogs, you wouldn't be able to apply for a pedigree for a crossbred. Quite a few of them don't even come from the same group.

They will register crosses, but not in the same sense as the pedigree dogs.
A pedigree is only reflects the veracity of the person submitting it, and is of course only a family tree, therefore ALL dogs have a "pedigree"

In any case whether or not a dog is x bred or not, does necessarily reflect the ethical nature of the breeder!
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 06:45 AM
A pedigree is only reflects the veracity of the person submitting it, and is of course only a family tree, therefore ALL dogs have a "pedigree"

In any case whether or not a dog is x bred or not, does necessarily reflect the ethical nature of the breeder!
Very well said!
I don't have a problem with crossbreeds or mongrels...but I don't like them being purposefully bred with no working purpose but only to get a fancy name and then be sold off to the first person who shows interest. No health checks or anything.
Page 5 of 12 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »