View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 07:07 PM
The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association, the majority of their Guide Dogs are GR x LR!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Coltrievers?

There is an example---probably one of the first! Bred for a purpose and IMO cracking dogs.

rune
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Melnola (4 x WT Chs in one litter) and the "Little" dogs bred by Rod Roberts (GSD x BC) also WT Chs.
ste
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Er let us not throw the baby out with the bathwater and make sweeping generalisations!

There are a LOT of purpose bred cross breeds where a LOT of thought is given to the puppies!

For example the GDBA!

Also there are many people who cross breed for a specific purpose/market; whose breeding stock is health checked (just as the GDBA stud dogs and bitches are) and who go to very special homes for example becoming Champions in Working Trials and Obedience!

So, do not tar ALL breeders of cross breeds with the same brush please.

Some do not give them "names" nor do they ask for exorbitant prices.

Not all breeders of purebred dogs are whiter than white, nor are all breeders of cross breeds the spawn of the devil!
Thanks for your reply on GDBA, hadn't thought of that
For sure there are ethical and unethical breeders all over, both with pure breds and cross bred dogs.
The core of the problem has to be our society, the fact that some cross breed suddenly becomes the in thing, people suddenly pay big money for the latest trend, without research or fore thought into what they are getting into.
The same is also of course true for pure breds. I still find it amazing that people will pay so much money for a cross.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I went to a fun dog show the other weekend and sat and watched the 'Best Pedigree' class being judged. In it was a cockerpoo....! And they allowed it in!
This should be reported if it was a KC licensed Companion show, the kind formerly known as Exemption shows.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by promarc View Post
oh yes when i got my masstif cross rotty for £50 afterwards i'd seen loads going for £200-£300 stupid money and shouldnt be allowed imo
Was ur boy from health tested parents?...that's my main worry,not names...its all just a money making scheme

300 quids fine imo if health tests are done
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-07-2011, 08:08 PM
When people say designer dogs do you think a trendy named pooch ..??
Or a dog designed for a purpose ?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Coltrievers?

There is an example---probably one of the first! Bred for a purpose and IMO cracking dogs.

rune
Problem is there's a guy breeding WSD X Goldens(unhealth tested of course) & using Margaret's kennel name to sell them by adding to his adverts. they are of course not related at all.

Designer dogs for the pet dog market are a whole different ball game to dogs bred for a purpose(plus the health tests)

Would never own one myself as I cannot see why & like to know what the dog is going to be like in temp & health etc.

GDBA only do first crosses of Lab & Golden, they don't do F2 etc. As far as I know they don't cross the GSDs with any other breed
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
GDBA only do first crosses of Lab & Golden, they don't do F2 etc. As far as I know they don't cross the GSDs with any other breed
They do a lot of x breeds including FCR x, BC x etc etc
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Along these lines---as there is no provision at all for non pedigree dogs to be regulated and no 'accredited' scheme for said breeders. Would it be an idea to allow any breeder to be a member of the KC scheme----that way at least there would be some kind of central database and a hope at regulating breeding and getting health testing done.

The horse has well and truly bolted and to ignore the fact that the dogs are being bred isn't helping. If any breeder could join the scheme---maybe as an associalte or something----then there might be a chance at getting the testing etc sorted out.

rune
Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »