View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 07:02 PM
what a shame for you both. maybe he just wanted extra time to look around, away from the ring
he looks splendid to me x
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 07:25 PM
He is looking good. At least you have a lovely photo of the day but so disappointing for you.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 08:44 PM
Bless him, sorry we didn't get to see you and Henry, couldn't find your stall
Azz
Administrator
Male 

10-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Aww he looks lovely
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 09:35 PM
What a gorgeous boy Better luck next year
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Bless him Glad he's better now Thanks for sharing x
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Oh no, what a shame! Henry is looking fabulous too!

OH and I were watching last night, and he was gobsmacked at the hair on the Irish Setter, and kept comparing him/her to Paddy He just couldn't understand why the dog was so hairy, and why Paddy isn't.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2012, 07:09 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Thank you for taking the time to explain, yes I think the hair sticking out in the front is possibly what looked the oddest to me - so thanks for explaining.
I did know they were deep chested - and he does look like a healthy handsome fellow
Thanks very much

Originally Posted by Losos View Post
I'm sorry that you're moment of glory in the ring didn't quite work out as you intended, such a shame after all the work you must have done before to get him looking good, but look on it as a practice for next year

Thanks for explaining that because, like Pam, I was wondering about it, and TBH it did look funny, and I was also thinking it must be a nightmare when he runs through muddy puddles etc. but if you say that the hairs are not abnormally long then I guess it's something you have to get used to with Setters.

Just as nature intended, that's the key to good show ring performance. Fingers crossed for next year then.
Thanks H He does look good in the ring but his everyday grooming/hair care sessions are quite thorough, he gets all sorts stuck in his coat, if it's raining or muddy he can become quite messy, which is why he has to wear his mankini (or pee coat to others ), as it scoops up the tummy featherings and protects them from all sorts.

It is hard work to keep him like this but he is worth it, even if he didn't show he is just such a lovely boy to live with
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2012, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by skjerstad View Post
what a shame for you both. maybe he just wanted extra time to look around, away from the ring
he looks splendid to me x
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
He is looking good. At least you have a lovely photo of the day but so disappointing for you.
Originally Posted by Tegs_mum View Post
Bless him, sorry we didn't get to see you and Henry, couldn't find your stall
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Aww he looks lovely
Originally Posted by bellaluna View Post
What a gorgeous boy Better luck next year
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Bless him Glad he's better now Thanks for sharing x
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Oh no, what a shame! Henry is looking fabulous too!

OH and I were watching last night, and he was gobsmacked at the hair on the Irish Setter, and kept comparing him/her to Paddy He just couldn't understand why the dog was so hairy, and why Paddy isn't.
Thanks everyone for your lovely comments

Lauren, different lines carry different amounts of coat. Bournehouse English Setters are renowned for their heavy coats, it can put some people off because of the upkeep but I like a glamourous dog with lots of bone and furnishings, it's just a personal preference thing From what I can remember we didn't find out who bred Paddy, it could be that he has some working lines in him, they tend to not carry as much coat because of getting caught in brambles etc., it also depends on diet and all sorts of other things. A lot of setter exhbitors like a heavy coat, some think it isn't a good thing, hence the variety you see in the ring these days.

I would say that Hen has one of the longest coats in the English Setter ring at the moment, some people think it's too much, others like it. As I said previously, he is as nature intended so I will be keeping him like it rather than chopping some off
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Lovely photo and what a handsome boy he is. I adore English Setters. What a shame he went momentarily lame!! Before he went lame, it must have been very exciting/nerve wracking
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >