Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2010, 12:35 PM

Rabies jab

My two are due to have a rabies jab in January in order to get a doggy passport for a road trip to my SILs in Spain in the summer. I have been googling side effects of the the jab and its got me thinking. Does anyone have any experience/advice on this one , dont want to take a risk for the sake of a road trip if it outwieghs the benefits .

Many Thanks
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-12-2010, 12:47 PM
my old lurcher had rabies jabs to get his passport and he was fine with them this was when they first abolished quarantin, although he had to have the jab 6 months before so in effect is still a sort of quarrantine
x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Nothing in life is risk free, your dog is more likely to contract other horrible diseases in Spain than Rabies which can be as deadly!

I have my dog jabbed and he has never had a reaction, but that does not mean yours will not or will.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Nothing in life is risk free, your dog is more likely to contract other horrible diseases in Spain than Rabies which can be as deadly!

I have my dog jabbed and he has never had a reaction, but that does not mean yours will not or will.
I will try weigh up the risk and do the righit thing and can only take vet advice but what other horrible diseases are they at risk of in Spain ?
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-12-2010, 12:53 PM
All 3 of mine have had the rabies jab with no reactions but there is always a risk with any injection.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by basi View Post
All 3 of mine have had the rabies jab with no reactions but there is always a risk with any injection.
Thanks , I suppose given they are fairly young (3) and in good health then the risk is reduced ?
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2010, 01:13 PM
I think the rabies jab is safer than the routine vaccinations we give. I would not be too worried
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

31-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by TomtheLurcher View Post
My two are due to have a rabies jab in January in order to get a doggy passport for a road trip to my SILs in Spain in the summer. I have been googling side effects of the the jab and its got me thinking. Does anyone have any experience/advice on this one , dont want to take a risk for the sake of a road trip if it outwieghs the benefits .
Many Thanks
I read that as meaning that you would cancel your trip if it seemed there were risks, if you are going to Spain anyway the rabies jab is mandatory so don't even think about 'risks'

For what it's worth we had our two done as soon as they were old enough, then every year since we have had the 'booster' done, never saw the slightest side effect, they are both now six.

BTW don't forget that the waiting period (6 months) is on top of the time for the jab to be tested and to get the letter confirming it has been successful (1% do fail apparently) so it's really a 7 month waiting period.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 09:19 AM
Rabies vaccines are required of all dogs here, and it's the vaccine that has the least number of reactions of the commonly given vaccines. So, fairly safe I'd say.

Have fun on your trip!
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-01-2011, 09:39 AM
i lived in spain with max (aforementioned lurcher) for 5 years and he didnt suffer from any of SBs mentioned diseases...i wasnt aware that Spain held any dreadfully OTT diseases for dogs? apart from mosquito related diseases? you cannot guard against everything - deffo speak to your vet but i wouldnt be overly worried...

I had the rabies jab myself! i was quite savagely attacked (lhaso apso would you believe?) in saudi and had to had 15 rabies jabs - they are served almost at freezing point and hurt like billi-o!)

good luck with whatever you decide x

x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >