Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2011, 03:59 PM
thought i would bump this up again.

ive just finished reading it, and think its quite a good book.

as a result of it ive started feeding mine vegetables regularly, i know people say they dont need them but like the book says, the more variety you feed the more chance you have of a balanced diet.

lynn can i ask you what you thought of feeding a milk meal? mine dont have anything as such now, they have natural yoghurt when i remember to buy it, and cheese as a training treat, but what do you think to doing a meal of like milk, youghurt, cottage cheese etc?

i thought i could maybe give a meal like this once a week in their kong or something, frozen maybe to keep them quiet for a bit.

i dont think i will feed oats like the book said, i just dont see the point in doing it really. i might order another book by a different author to see how views compare.
parsonsmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-12-2011, 05:28 PM
i dont think i will feed oats like the book said, i just dont see the point in doing it really.
I haven't read this book. but I have been told by someone a lot more versed in raw feeding than me, that oats are an excellent source of pre and pro biotics.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by parsonsmum View Post
I haven't read this book. but I have been told by someone a lot more versed in raw feeding than me, that oats are an excellent source of pre and pro biotics.
The book does explain what they do but I skipped te chapter about grains as I don't want to feed them, one of the reasons I stopped feeding dry was because of all the grains and fillers.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-12-2011, 05:33 PM
I have bought some goats milk for Dillon and oats and weetabix but the breeders says wean him off these quite soon he may even wean himself. I wil give the occassional oat meal and I have bought the wheat germ and bran to give him.

I will do scrambled eggs with goats milk as well as raw egg. Ollie use to get scrambled egg but no milk of any kind. I will give yoghut in his meal every evening same as Ollie and he will get cottage cheese a couple of times a week same as Ollie did.

I won't feed a lot of cheese (hard) as it is quite fattening. He will sometimes get a drop of goats milk it isn't essential but the breeder says no harm if you do and she use to give them goats milk regularly when they had goats and loads in the freezer. As he gets older I will probably drop the oat meal a bit. I am going to follow it as close as I can to the letter though.

Thing is there are good grains for dogs and ones that have no use for them oats seem to be good grain it would seem for human and dog.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2011, 05:39 PM
The book also says it's ok to feed mixed dried fruit, we all know that raisins/currents are not good for dogs.

I bought some, my dogs loved it scattered about the garden for them to find until I realised what it contained.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
The book also says it's ok to feed mixed dried fruit, we all know that raisins/currents are not good for dogs.

I bought some, my dogs loved it scattered about the garden for them to find until I realised what it contained.
Very true I think you have to do what you feel is best and I must admit I don't think I will be feeding raisins or sultanas unless there is evidence that once they are dried the poisonous properties are removed.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2011, 06:05 PM
Just remember that there is no proven need for carbohydrates in a dog's diet so oats, or any other grain are completely unecessary and can be harmful and prebiotics can be provided by fruit and vegetables.

I will never feed milk, but I do give mine a meal of live yoghurt once a week as bacteria has broken down some of the sugars and casein.

I do not feed cheese either as it is a yeast feeder.

My view on feeding fruit and vegetables is that they contain vital phytonutrients unavailable in meat and fish. Also, as a source of fibre, they promote good gut health by SCFA (short chain fatty acids) which I think I have written about before.
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-12-2011, 06:13 PM
I started feeding vegetables also after reading that book. I bought a food processor a few weeks ago which I was sadly excited about. Someone at work said oh you will be able to make soups and all sorts, they looked at me strangely when I said it was for my dogs veg. Can't see me using it for much else. Anyway I made lots of tubs of various fruit and veg and stuck it in the freezer and they have a little every now and then. I don't feed milk but mine have afters sometimes of a few teaspoons of live yogurt. My fussy gsd who is a little underweight has cheese treats, and I am going to try them with cottage cheese when I remember to buy it.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by kodimeg View Post
I started feeding vegetables also after reading that book. I bought a food processor a few weeks ago which I was sadly excited about. Someone at work said oh you will be able to make soups and all sorts, they looked at me strangely when I said it was for my dogs veg. Can't see me using it for much else. Anyway I made lots of tubs of various fruit and veg and stuck it in the freezer and they have a little every now and then. I don't feed milk but mine have afters sometimes of a few teaspoons of live yogurt. My fussy gsd who is a little underweight has cheese treats, and I am going to try them with cottage cheese when I remember to buy it.
My previous Berner always had a small amount of veg and fruit with his evening meal pulverised of course.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3