Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 11:02 AM

Help please for rescued robin

One of my cats caught a robin yesterday morning. I've "saved" it & put it in a cat carrier with a fleecy bed, some meal worms, bread soakedin water & seeds & put a small dish of water in the carrier. I left it alone other than just checking on it a few times yesterday. It seems quite bright-eyed & active to the extent that this morning I put my hand in the carrier & it escaped through the gap! It was fluttering around the dining room but one of it's wings is hanging down & it obviously can't fly. I managed to catch it & return it to the carrier & offered it some minced meat on the end of some tweezers & it pecke at it.

I spoke to a vet practice yesterday but they said they couldn't take it over the weekend as no-one was at the practice to look fter it. They said to bring it in on Monday morning if it was still alive.

I must admit I fully expected the shock to have killed it but it seems so active & lively (even a bit feisty!!) that I would like to do what I can to give it a chance of recovery.

I'll take it the vets in the morning but has anyone had any experience or has any ideas of anything else I should do? We've called it Houdini becauseof it's escapology tactics!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Vets have a duty of care for injured wildlife (something I found out when I found an exhausted seagull) so the vet would be a good option - unless you`ve got any Wildlife rescuers down your way?
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Have you tried calling WADARS? They deal with local wildlife and are experienced in taking care of them until a vet check can be done.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks both. I can try WADARS ~ forgot about them. But if I can't get hold of anyone I'll take it to the vet tomorrow morning. My friend's a receptionist there & i think they use WADARS anyway for rescued wildlife.

Bl**dy cats!!! And mine are rubbish hunters ~ the best they can do is baby mice usually which they allow to escape under the fridge, washing machine or cooker!
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 09:10 AM
Well Houdini the Robin is still alive & kicking this morning but sadly still dragging his left wing . It does look like he's had a peck at his food though, & he was sitting on the edge of the water bowl this morning, looking very bright-eyed.

Hubby's taking him to the vet this morning so the vet can decide whether the wing can be mended or whether it's PTS time. Fingers crossed he can recover & having spent 48 hours in captivity without dying of shock, maybe there's a bit of hope for him.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Sounds like luck is on his side, I hope so.
When we had an injured pigeon a couple of months ago, quite honestly no one wanted to know. So I rang our vet and took it there.
I don't know what they did. I didn't ask because I could bear the thought of being told he had died.
Hope Robbie will be ok