View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AlannaJohan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2009, 04:20 PM

Could this be the end to Breed Specific Legislation?

Having long held a disregard for the Breed Specific legislation rampant across the UK and Ireland, I've just read the following Kennel Club News articles with a feeling of excitement (and of course, apprehension). Could this really be the beginning of the end for breed specific legislation?

Article: "Breed Specific Law is Bad Law - it Simply Doesn't Work” - Peers Speak Out Over Flawed Dangerous Dogs Legislation

The ‘Dog Control Bill’ tabled by Liberal Democrat Peer Lord Redesdale, received its second reading in the House of Lords on Friday.

The Bill, which could repeal the Dangerous Dogs Act, received support from Conservative and Liberal Democrat Peers on the basis that it is non breed specific and would do more to target irresponsible owners and better protect the public. Lord Tyler (Liberal Democrat) highlighted that the Dangerous Dogs Act is quoted to political students as an example of “the dangers of knee jerk legislation” and added “breed specific law is bad law; it simply doesn’t work”. Earl Cathcart (Conservative) stated that the DDA was “hastily brought in” and that “You wouldn’t arrest a human based on their looks so why dogs?”

The Kennel Club broadly welcomed the second reading of the Bill which if passed, would introduce major changes to current dangerous dogs legislation. These changes include:
  • Legislation would no longer be breed specific - it is generally accepted that genetics (breed) plays only a part in the temperament of an individual dog and scientific studies from around the world show that environment and training have a far greater effect.
  • More emphasis on the owner, so that instead of banning specific breeds of dog, the dog’s behaviour – as well as its treatment by its owner – would be used to determine if it is a risk to public safety under the Dog Control Bill.
  • Attacks on private property would also become a criminal offence.

Following the debate, Lord Redesdale agreed to review various parts of the Bill, including removing a clause which would make it an offence to keep a dog that has injured another dog or animal. The Kennel Club had previously raised concerns that this could theoretically lead to the seizure of any dog which attacked a rat or rabbit for example, and had pushed for the Bill to be amended.

Caroline Kisko, Kennel Club Communications Director, welcomed Friday’s response by the Lords: “The debate which took place in the House of Lords is an extremely welcome one. Current legislation is severely flawed and has failed in its attempts to protect the public or reduce the number of pit bull terriers in the UK.

“The Kennel Club is pleased that Lord Redesdale will now look to amend his Bill at committee stage and we will continue to push for changes on areas of the Bill with which we have concerns.”

There is a second article, also, which covers many of the same points but is focused more on the movement from dog damning to people punishing.

Article: New Bill Could Reduce Dangerous Dog Attacks

So, I know we shouldn't raise our hopes too soon, but is anybody else just a little bit excited?
banji
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by AlannaJohan View Post
Having long held a disregard for the Breed Specific legislation rampant across the UK and Ireland, I've just read the following Kennel Club News articles with a feeling of excitement (and of course, apprehension). Could this really be the beginning of the end for breed specific legislation?

Article: "Breed Specific Law is Bad Law - it Simply Doesn't Work” - Peers Speak Out Over Flawed Dangerous Dogs Legislation

There is a second article, also, which covers many of the same points but is focused more on the movement from dog damning to people punishing.

Article: New Bill Could Reduce Dangerous Dog Attacks

So, I know we shouldn't raise our hopes too soon, but is anybody else just a little bit excited?
at last, they may have actually thought this one through.
something that will actually help the dog.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2009, 05:14 PM
This was the guy I was talking about the other day on this thread http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=105430 - I just couldn't remember his name!! He really impressed me when I saw him on the News.

Hope it comes to fruition!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Sounds like it could be a massive step in the right direction!
AlannaJohan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
This was the guy I was talking about the other day on this thread http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=105430 - I just couldn't remember his name!! He really impressed me when I saw him on the News.

Hope it comes to fruition!

Ah-ha! I knew I couldn't have been the first to hear about it. And I couldn't agree with you more - how refreshing to here a politician talking sense instead of jumping on the media band wagon. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed...
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 07:58 AM
It may be good if we could all write to this fella informing him we are all behind him, sometimes encouragement from the general public boost their intentions of pursuing a cause,

Mo
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

28-04-2009, 01:51 PM
It is still early stages for this Bill which is fortunate as it requires some major clarifications and amendments. The government has rejected it already but, since it is likely that come the election next the government will itself be rejected, that's not a deal-killer.

Some (but not all) of the problems were mentioned during it's second reading on Friday:

http://www.publications.parliament.u...09042430000349