Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 09:56 PM

Crate training?

Hi all

Has anybody got any suggestions on how to make Chance be clean in his crate?

He hasnt had an accident in the house for weeks but when he is in hes crate he wees all the time and does the occasional poo

He is in his crate from about midnight till 7am, and if i need to pop out, which isnt very often and when i do go out it isnt normally very long.

I always clean it with disinfectant and put clean blankets in whenever he has an accident.

Is he still too young to expect him to hold it during the night?
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 10:07 PM
cant offer much advice but.

im stil crate training millie, she goes in her crate when i go out - she used to go in it at night - but she used to have accidents in it

she just couldnt hold it - so we let her have the kitchen (no-where else) she soon has learnt to go on the paper outside her crate and sleep in her crate

have you tried using half the side of the crate - put his bed and the other side a puppy pad???
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Thats how it used to be when he was tiny. He is 16 weeks old now.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-02-2007, 10:13 PM
He's still very young isn't he Sara? I would get up once in the night or have the crate in the same room, until he gets the idea. I don't like newspaper I must confess, because then you have to train them to go outside rather than the newspaper. I think it just prolongs everything. He also left his mum very early didn't he? so that could have some bearing, but I have always found getting up in the night the quickest solution.
Also what disinfectant are you using? my last dog would pee on anything he didn't like the smell of, which included disinfectant.
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
He's still very young isn't he Sara? I would get up once in the night or have the crate in the same room, until he gets the idea. I don't like newspaper I must confess, because then you have to train them to go outside rather than the newspaper. I think it just prolongs everything. He also left his mum very early didn't he? so that could have some bearing, but I have always found getting up in the night the quickest solution.
Also what disinfectant are you using? my last dog would pee on anything he didn't like the smell of, which included disinfectant.
Im not keen on newspaper either. He did leave his mum at 5 weeks , yes. Can this slow things down? Im using simple solution disinfectant, have you heard of it?

I will try getting up with him once in the night and see if that helps
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Might be an idea to not leave too much room inside the crate either. If he can't pee without making a mess where he sleeps then he's less likely to pee there unless he's desperate. But saying that, he can only hold it so long, so as Trouble has said, might be an idea to get up and take him through the night, won't be for too long
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 11:09 PM
He's still young yet so bear with him ..but disenfectant alone won't kill the smell - in fact anything pine smelling will attract him - Biological washing solution is better ..it breaks down the smell so they are not attracted back to the same spot ..but 16 weeks is still young so may be a wee trip in the night is the best option for now ( no pun intended Ian )
gaz
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-02-2007, 11:26 PM
we had that problem when we had a cocker, she got out of it in the end, we alway put her outside for 30 Min's before bed and removed all bedding from the crate, just the plastic floor remained.
We was told this by a vet and it did work, he said that dogs dont like laying were it is wet and blankets absorb the fluid so the dog dont realize they are laying in it.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 11:38 PM
The simple solution has an enzyme in that breaks down the smell left by the urine so they don`t go and pee in the same place.It worked with Fudge.
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 09:26 AM
I got up at 4am this morning to let him out and he hasnt wee`d in his crate

Can anybody recommend a disinfectant if the one im using isnt working please?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >