Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2004, 11:47 AM

Irish setter breed info

Ok so im looking into my next breed.

Labs are my favourite breed, but i work with them all the time (breeding, working, showing )

I love golden retrievers, they are a possibility.

I would die for a Flat coated retriever, but too scared to get one, because of the cancer , (by the way whats the average age they die from cancer?)

so then the irish setter , adore them, they mirror my personality, mad!
so does anyone own them?
anyone got some good breed info for me?

thanks !
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-05-2004, 06:20 PM
Hi Gem, yes I have an Irish Setter. He's a son of the 1995 Crufts Best in Show winner. SH CH Starchelle Cicago Bear. My lad Bailey is going to be 8 years old on the 2nd of July. He's not mad by any means, but he's very active and lively.

I got my first Irish Setter in December 1973, and I've had one or two at a time ever since. If you decide to get one you should know about the health issues. Only ever buy from a repuable breeder, all breeding stock will by now be DNA clear of PRA, an eye disease, and CLAD, an auto immune blood disorder. Be sure to ask though. The DNA test for PRA has been available since 1993, and Clad SINCE 1999. The breed is also at increased risk of GDV (bloat). I lost one of mine this way just 18 months ago.

Check out this breed specific website www.irishsetter.org.uk
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2004, 07:47 PM
thank you for your help nursey i appreciate it

How was it training your lad?
People say they are really hard.

Gem
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-05-2004, 07:35 AM
Hi Gem, Irish Setters are very keen to please, and also very food oriented, so a pocket full of bribes works wonders. Cheese is always a favourite, but anything tasty will do the trick.

These dogs do need freerunning exercise though, and it's wonderful to see them ranging and hunting around. Mine get about an hour freerunning every day in all weathers. Of course I would not advise this sort of exercise for a puppy. Puppies need to be limited in distance and time to about 20 mins at a time, because it can wreck their joints.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2004, 09:13 AM
thank you nursey, my dog loves cheese, he will do almost anything for it!
it is amazing what food can do!

I would be able to give at least 1 hour a day, maybe more.
thats another thing i dont quite understand, when you say they range and hunt, do they keep checking where you are, running back and forth?

Thanks
Gem

p.s do you have any pics of your lovely dogs?
I love seeing these beautiul dogs, they look so majestic and noble.