Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2007, 09:34 AM

Neurotic dog?

I'm not sure where to post this... But i'm guessing cos this is a behaviour this is the best place.

Archie is my one and a half year old JRT. He has always been a bit of a highly strung character but lately he has me concerned.

He loves chasing things, esp birds. When they land in a tree he will bark and bark at them. (This is what JRT were bred for, finding their quarry then barking to alert the huntsman, I believe.) He will also whimper and wine and get worked up chasing flys around the house.

When he is stressed in anyway he will whine and shiver.

Ok, so this is all typical Archie behaviour.

But lately he has started to run about the house whimpering and whining for no obvious reason, as if he is looking for something. He has also started to chase flies that are not there! At first I thought it was small flies I couldn't see. But putting my glasses on I can see there is nothing there. The kids and friends have confirmed this for me when they see him doing this.

He runs about looking up at the ceiling as if following a fly whimpering and yelping as he goes, jumping up to try and catch it.

This morning he spent the whole time downstairs running about crying and whimpering; I'm guessing in anticipation of his morning walk. But he is on the point of hysteria!

What could be causing this behaviour? Could it be a neurological problem?

Diet, routine and exercise is the same as always; nothing has changed.

He is fed a raw diet with the occasional Burns fish and rice. He has a long walk with offlead run in the mornings and a shorter onlead walk in the afternoon. Sometimes a quick walk in the evenings as well. Regular games and training in the house as well.

When he's in these states distraction of games or food doesn't work. I fed them both fish yesterday outside. He abandons his fish in favour of chasing flies around the garden and was then too wroked up to eat.

What should I do?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2007, 09:43 AM
Oh Evie, how upsetting for you.

I have no real suggestions, only to wonder whether there could be something wrong with his eyes? If he has something like the human equivelent of 'floaters' it might be sending him bonkers trying to chase something which isn't there (not sure whether dogs can suffer from these too?)

I would get the vet to check him over as a first thing - particularly his eyes.

Hope you get to the bottom of it.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2007, 09:55 AM
You need to get him to a vet, he could be in pain which is causing the whimpering etc. If nothing else has changed then the first thing that needs to be looked at is a potential medical reason rather than a behavioural one.
Make sure the vet gives him a thorough all over examination.
Becky
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2007, 10:59 AM
I never even thought on it being a problem with his eyes. Will book him in for the vet. Thanks.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Awwww hope you get to the bottom of it!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks Shaza. :smt001

I've been looking up "invisable fly chasing" online (as you do ) and come across a lot of references to focal seizures in dogs. Has anyone on here any experiance with this?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2007, 12:40 PM
Awwww Evie, no experience of this at all just hope you get to the bottom of it soon.
Could it be light reflections or shadows??
Is he always looking up when he does it?
I agree with the others, he could do with a vet check up to rule out any physical cause before you head down a behavioural line. Hugs
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2007, 12:41 PM
ps why not post in the health section aout focal seizures?
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2007, 12:46 PM
He goes on exactly as he does when he is chasing an actual fly; except there is none there. It's not light/shadows cos he will run from room to room, up and down the stairs chasing "it".

Sometimes he is just generally running around whining and crying like something has him upset, but he's not chasing anything.

Thanks Ailsa. :smt001
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2007, 12:50 PM
My JR chases fly's like a neurotic nutter-barking and whining-but shes always done it I would say if its a Change in behaviour then def. a check-up by the vet. Especially if he's chasing non-existent flies.Could be a visual impairment
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >