Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Micky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-03-2008, 01:44 PM

post op

My Goldie had her op on Monday for a luxating patella & seems fine but is hardly going for a wee, she is drinking water but not as much as normal but guess that it is to be expected without any exercise. We take her into the garden and try and encourage to have a wee but so far is only going once every 24 hours. Does anyone know if this is normal? She is getting heaps of TLC and we are trying our best to keep her quiet/calm but its no mean feat and its only been 3 days since the op.

Thanks
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm not sure if this is normal, at least she is going I suppose.
Maybe you should ring the vet and see what they say.
Good luck, I hope it all goes well for her.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2008, 02:15 PM
She may have become dehydrated during the operation apart from the fact she would have had nothing to drink for 24 hours. Add to that the fact it will be painful and she may not want to move too much at the moment.

If she was mine I would encourage drinking by putting a little milk in water or cooking some bones in loads of water and giving her that. Would not worry about taking her back to the vet for a few more days and even then a phone call may put your mind at rest and save her an unnessary journey
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2008, 06:26 PM
If you're worried then give the vet a call. It sounds like she's still coming round from the operation though. It took my last dog a good week to return to normal after general anaesthetic.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Sending your little girl big (((hugs)))

xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Hi Micky try putting a tiny bit of honey in the water (melt it in warm water first ) also ice cubes are often acceptable to dogs. It is important to keep the fluid intake up.

Perhaps the operation site is still painfully, it can help if you take some of the weight when your dog goes to relieve itself, do this by placing a towel around the tummy and holding it up to take the weight.

If you are still concerned ring the vet.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 07:00 AM
Great advice here. Nothing further to add, just hugs to your goldie and hope she's feeling loads better very soon x0x
dan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2008, 02:30 PM
hi mickey, sounds like you have been already given some good advice. It can take a while sometimes for the effects of an anaesthetic to wear off and your Goldie would of been nil by mouth before op, so I guess she is probably dehydrated as already mentioned. If you are still worried ring your vet, they may want to check her after op anyway.Good Luck xxx
kathryn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Not much to add but would mix some water into her food, she probably doesn't want to squat to wee as its sore to bend so hanging on until she needs to go, hope she recovers well from her op
X K