Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2005, 04:03 PM

Operations and cleft palate

As you know my little Charlie has a cleft plate and possibly problems with his eyes. Due to these problems, he is more than likely to be staying here with us, what I need to know is due to his cleft palate how does he stand for operations? As I have girls here, I really can't keep an entire male!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2005, 04:08 PM
I board a Bichon with a severe cleft pallatte and he is neutered.
Dawn.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2005, 04:54 PM
So no problems with the op then? Charlie's cleft is on his soft palate and not very big apparently, my vet doesn't want to fix the palate as he said it wasn't very big and he is coping really well.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-07-2005, 08:33 PM
poor little chap I would talk to the vet about it CC ,I think he should alright if his heart and lungs are ok and the op is nowhere near as extensive as spaying a bitch ....
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2005, 08:43 PM
Nope dont think so and the cleft is bad. His tongue hangs out and he drinks from one side of his mouth, the hole is big and he copes just fine.
Dawn.
tamjam
New Member!
Female 

08-02-2011, 06:58 PM
hello i'm new to this!! we had a litter of cockers 5 weeks ago, all doing very well except for little sausage who had problems suckling from the beginning and we ended up bottle feeding her. we started her on puppy meat last week and kept hearing a rattling noise in her nose, after countless more trips to the vet we've now discovered she has a small cleft in the soft palatte. the vet has told us it is a 50/50 chance of needing an operation as she gets bigger. we obviously want to know as much about this as possible and where wandering if anyone had any wisdom to share on the subject ( our breeder told us all dogs with cleft palattes need to be put down) this is something that we really don't want to do as we love her so much but also we don't want her to live a miserable life constantly in and out of the vets, having operations etc.
any help would be greatly appreciatted
tam xx