Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
muddipaws
New Member!
Female 

04-05-2009, 12:22 PM

I'm a newbee and need help please!! Antihistamine- how many to give

I am new to dogsey, but came across it looking for safe antihistamines for my dog, who seems to be obsessed with wasps and flys. I have read that Piriton is safe and good but for a spaniel sized dog how many tablets should I give, can anyone help me please
Thanks alot
Muddipaws:
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Just make sure you get the right ones! You have to get the cheaper ones which DO make them drowsy, don't get the expensive ones which don't coz they are harmful to dogs. I have a very big gsd who used to live on them permanently for his itchy skin, and the vet told me I could give him 4 a day, spaced out of course, but I stuck with 3 which seemed to work well. If I were you, I'd give one morning and one night and that way you will be more than safe and they should work fine. Good luck, some dogs they work on some they don't, but mine they did, but the effect seemed to wear off over a matter of weeks, so I stopped them and then started again.
muddipaws
New Member!
Female 

04-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Hi, Thanks for that, any more opinions greatly appreciated.
I had 2 GSD's up until last year, Georgie was 11yrs old and we sadly had to have her put to sleep as she had suffered with CDRM which was just awful to see her deteriorate and was on Rymadil for her last 18months, and Billy who suddenly died in his sleep 5 weeks after Georgie. Both were such lovely dogs and I really love the breed. We now have a rescue 6yr old Possibly GSD cross but he is about the size of a spaniel called Doofus and he is a dear, thinks the world loves him!!
Thanks again
Muddipaws
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Just make sure you get the right ones! You have to get the cheaper ones which DO make them drowsy, don't get the expensive ones which don't coz they are harmful to dogs. I have a very big gsd who used to live on them permanently for his itchy skin, and the vet told me I could give him 4 a day, spaced out of course, but I stuck with 3 which seemed to work well. If I were you, I'd give one morning and one night and that way you will be more than safe and they should work fine. Good luck, some dogs they work on some they don't, but mine they did, but the effect seemed to wear off over a matter of weeks, so I stopped them and then started again.
Well I never knew that H, thankfully I have never had to use anithistamines on my dogs, but will make a mental not to self about that. I would have just bought the expensive one, just goes to show eh?

Elaine xxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Awww, sorry to hear that sad news, but 11 is a good age (or so they say) for a gsd. I lost my previous to cancer at 11 1/2, and I'm now on my 8th puppy, she's mad!!! My other 10 yr. old is also called Georgie, but he was my first ever rescue at 5 with a terrible skin condition which I've now cured. Glad you're enjoying your new baby now, I know it doesn't fill that great big hole, but it sure helps doesn't it!

Are you going to give the Piriton before he gets bitten then or IF and when?!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
Well I never knew that H, thankfully I have never had to use anithistamines on my dogs, but will make a mental not to self about that. I would have just bought the expensive one, just goes to show eh?

Elaine xxx
... and that's just what I was going to do until I found out they were about £12!!!! The vets never seem to tell you this, but it's a well known fact to all us "users"Lol!
muddipaws
New Member!
Female 

04-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Hi, ahh thanks, yours sound just great too, there all special aren't they.
I'm not sure to give the Piriton now and keep it in his system in case he gets stung or just as and when he needs it, what would you do?
Muddipaws.x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Hi Keri welcome to Dogsey.
How strange, we had an identical post earlier today,
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=105919

.. this was my reply...
Sorry I can't help with your query. I personally would never give human medication to a dog unless advised to do so by a vet (except in extreme circumstance ). 'Human' medications frequently have a different coating and absorbsion rate to those used on animals and should be given with care.
Another thing to consider is if your dog is insured and you give it any unprescribed medication and it has an adverse effect, it may affect your insurance.

I have an antihistamine called Atarax from the vets which I keep in the house for emergences.

That said someone else here may be able to advise you on dosage of Piriton, or better still ring the vet.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 02:55 PM
I thought I replied on this earlier!
Dogs can have one 4mg piriton every eight hours. (3 times a day) I would not give it unless it was needed for some reason and definetly not "just in case". It can make them drowsy.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Yes, me too, I'd wait until something happened. These types of medication act on the immune system, making it less sensitive to every little thing that it might come across, hence, if your dog is stung by a fly, the immune system won't go into overdrive for it, so there's no point in giving them prior to anything happening. They gave me piriton when I was suffering a severe allergic reaction to penicillin (along with a life saving dose of adrenalin I might add!) they always give the piriton or similar.

My old vet actually TOLD me to go and buy some Piritons and if they didn't work, then there are 2 other types he could prescribe for me, coz some work on some dogs and some don't ok!