Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cayugawolf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-01-2005, 03:45 AM

Help! Night time barking

Hi
It's ages since I posted , but I could realy do with some help/ideas right now. I have 2 10 year old dogs. just recently they have started barking around 2am every night . I get up to let them out, then put them back to bed (large crate, they sleep together) Tonight they started as soon as I went to bed, and haven't stopped yet (3.40) I resorted to getting out the smaller show cage and separating them, one has settled but the other is still barking. Any ideas???
Lynn
mr.leo
Dogsey Senior

09-01-2005, 09:51 AM
We had this problem when we adopted leos grans dog when she died. But he wasn't created.

We got a collar that webt around the neck and every time the dog barked it would spray. Check out the site below you can get all sorts from this site even just hire the collar which wasn't a option back when we needed it.

http://www.doggiesolutions.co.uk/ero...x%3D20%26y%3D7
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-01-2005, 12:00 PM
Hi there nice to see you back. Dogs bark for a reason and I think the starting point is to try to find out what the reason is if you can. Often it is a change in circumstances , has anything changed like food /or feeding time/going out/ is water available? Are they being disturbed at a different time perhaps by neighbours?. Change of behaviour in dogs particularly older ones like yours can also be relate to illness (eg diabetes causing thirst and increased urination or even a type of senility) . I am sorry to disagree with anyone but I hate the idea of anything like spray collars, they may be harmless and considered by some a solution but to my mind they do not address the cause of the problem,to me it is like saying I know you have a problem but sniff this and forget it . I would first think hard and look for a possible cause, also assess your dogs recent behaviour overall
cayugawolf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-01-2005, 05:12 PM
Hi guys,
No change in routine or food, everything exactly the same as always. Anoying thing is they have been great all today, not a peep out of them! Typical!! I think they initially get disturbed by someone coming home late & car doors slaming etc. Heard someone at 2.30 last night. Might mention the probs to the vet next week, they are due up there for their boosters.
Lynn
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2005, 03:11 PM
I agree about the collars with minihaha, I think you have to try to asses the problems that could be causing it first before resorting to the collars as suggested. If they have been good for 10 whole years and have just started this something must be bothering them...It probably is just as simple that someone has started to come home late like you said. Shame you can't put ear plugs in their ears to see if blocking out any night time noise might help!...lol...you could always wear the ear plugs though while you are sorting out the problem! Sorry I don't have anything better to come up with right now.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2005, 03:14 PM
P.S: what breed of dogs do you have? Just out of interest...From what I can tell of such a small pic the avatar you have kinda looks like a white Husky?..But you don't mention on your info. Bot that it will help with the barking issues but I just wondered.
cayugawolf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-01-2005, 09:12 PM
yep, both od the boys are Siberians, and as such don't bark unless they REALY have something to make a noise about. As it happens, they have been quiet the past couple of nights since the wind dropped.They were obviously more bothered about it than I was! I should find out tonight as it has started again. Shame I can't do anything about the weather!
Lynn
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2005, 01:18 AM
if it does start again tonight cos of the wind can you not try putting there crate in a diffrent room?