Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 05:45 PM

Why is everyone soooo angry?

Anyone got any thoughts?

I have been watching the cricket on Sky and earlier there was a confrontation between a batsman and a bowler.

There have been the awful riots and looting in the larger cities.

Social networking sites are full of arguments and bickering and downright nastiness.

No one seems willing to help anyone or to provide a service. Even my corner shop have a shrug the shouders, couldn't care less attitude.

Why is this happening do you think?
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-08-2011, 05:49 PM
I was going to do a joke post here but its a tad to serious a question and Nippy deserves better ..

''Its the do it to them before they do it to me mindset ''
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Anyone got any thoughts?

I have been watching the cricket on Sky and earlier there was a confrontation between a batsman and a bowler.

There have been the awful riots and looting in the larger cities.

Social networking sites are full of arguments and bickering and downright nastiness.

No one seems willing to help anyone or to provide a service. Even my corner shop have a shrug the shouders, couldn't care less attitude.

Why is this happening do you think?
I do not know hun, but there seems to be too much of "I want it and I want it now", and "it is my right to have what you have".

Too much thought of me me me and no thought whatsoever of anyone else.

Too much thought of the here and now and no thought whatoever of the future.

Or maybe I am just old and cynical.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Not everyone is angry and unhelpful
I went to Waitrose this morning and there were no ham joints of the size I wanted so I asked an assistant to see if there were any in stock and said I would return to the section. In typical Waitrose fashion the assistant came and found me with a whole basket full to choose from.

I mentioned to my neighbour I had been down the field looking for Damsons but there were very few to which she replied on her day off she would go and pick some for me from a friends garden because she had lots

I went to the recycling centre with lots of bags containing a shrub I had cut back. Another woman my age was there with her grandson (about 16 years old) and she told him to 'help that lady get her bags to the skip'.
Perhaps Worcestershire has more than its share of kind people
Kindness is alive and well and living in the shires...
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 06:00 PM
It's the state of the economy imo. Everyone is struggling, the weekly food shop has doubled over the past year, gas and electric will be going up by a further 18% I think I heard yesterday Small businesses are struggling to survive, everyone's hanging onto their money and only purchasing those essentials atm. The good times have definitely disappeared and with them, along went our feel good factor, which then turned into despair, then into anger.

We all know what's going on, those that have nothing get the lot, whereas those that work hard, be it in their own business or a well earned job that they got after training hard to get, well, they're probably thinking, what am I doing it all for?! Might as well stop paying the mortgage, hand in the keys and live off the Government in the lifestyle a lot of other people seem to enjoy who aren't working.......maybe, I dunno, but that's the way we both feel now

Then you've got the older generation who have money stashed in the bank which they saved hard for to give them a better retirement, but instead of living off the interest, they're getting nowt and having to dip in to their savings, of which there's very little left I suppose. They can't even sell their properties if they relocated to Spain or somewhere, and it's now just the same in the UK, the buyers have gone, everyone's frightened to take the plunge, even the big investors have gone, hence the price of gold rocketing, they know that's safe!

Oh it's all doom and gloom Jen, is it any wonder everyone's walking around with a long face

I don't let it all get me down though, I'm still smiling, so is Dave, there's always something around that corner for us, I'm the eternal optimist and somehow I can manage to make Dave think the same, even though it's hard sometimes coz he's totally fed up of running a business in this climate!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 06:09 PM
I agree with you about the weekly food shop Aitch. I used to spend about £70 a week.

Now it's always around £100. This week my bill came to £116.09 and the only meat in there was two boxes if chicken wings for the dogs totalling £4.28.

....and there's just Baz and I......

Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I was going to do a joke post here but its a tad to serious a question and Nippy deserves better ..

''Its the do it to them before they do it to me mindset ''
Thanks Murf,(I've given the reppies )
You can do the joke now, btw!

Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I do not know hun, but there seems to be too much of "I want it and I want it now", and "it is my right to have what you have".

Too much thought of me me me and no thought whatsoever of anyone else.

Too much thought of the here and now and no thought whatoever of the future.

Or maybe I am just old and cynical.
You've just about summed it up I think Malka
I don't think you are old and cynical (certainly not old ) Our generation have seen so much.

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I went to Waitrose this morning and there were no ham joints of the size I wanted so I asked an assistant to see if there were any in stock and said I would return to the section. In typical Waitrose fashion the assistant came and found me with a whole basket full to choose from.

I mentioned to my neighbour I had been down the field looking for Damsons but there were very few to which she replied on her day off she would go and pick some for me from a friends garden because she had lots

I went to the recycling centre with lots of bags containing a shrub I had cut back. Another woman my age was there with her grandson (about 16 years old) and she told him to 'help that lady get her bags to the skip'.
Glad you are finding such kindness Mini
Do you know, hubby picked some beans today, far too many for us, so took some to a neighbour.
They were just finishing their lunch when he got there.
Do you know what they said? "Too late we have finished our lunch" I laughed and said oh they were joking but he says they were deadly serious. Gratitude or what?
Can I just add they are not Devonians

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
It's the state of the economy imo. Everyone is struggling, the weekly food shop has doubled over the past year, gas and electric will be going up by a further 18% I think I heard yesterday Small businesses are struggling to survive, everyone's hanging onto their money and only purchasing those essentials atm. The good times have definitely disappeared and with them, along went our feel good factor, which then turned into despair, then into anger.

We all know what's going on, those that have nothing get the lot, whereas those that work hard, be it in their own business or a well earned job that they got after training hard to get, well, they're probably thinking, what am I doing it all for?! Might as well stop paying the mortgage, hand in the keys and live off the Government in the lifestyle a lot of other people seem to enjoy who aren't working.......maybe, I dunno, but that's the way we both feel now

Then you've got the older generation who have money stashed in the bank which they saved hard for to give them a better retirement, but instead of living off the interest, they're getting nowt and having to dip in to their savings, of which there's very little left I suppose. They can't even sell their properties if they relocated to Spain or somewhere, and it's now just the same in the UK, the buyers have gone, everyone's frightened to take the plunge, even the big investors have gone, hence the price of gold rocketing, they know that's safe!

Oh it's all doom and gloom Jen, is it any wonder everyone's walking around with a long face

I don't let it all get me down though, I'm still smiling, so is Dave, there's always something around that corner for us, I'm the eternal optimist and somehow I can manage to make Dave think the same, even though it's hard sometimes coz he's totally fed up of running a business in this climate!
Oh we keep smiling, no point in doing anything else.
It's just this culture of everyone is out for themselves, everyone is right and all the others are wrong
Tell you what H, I'm glad we're not in business anymore
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post

It's the same over the hill in Herefordshire I am struck every day by the cheerfulness and kindness of people, many of whom I know are struggling with the current economic climate. We make a pilgrimage to your Waitrose every week, and the staff there are unfailingly helpful and pleasant no matter what the challenge.

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post

I agree - the financial pressures on so many people at the moment, which show no sign of easing......only increasing, mean that many people are so stressed and worried that being happy and optimistic is difficult.

Nippy - husband and I were watching the cricket and saw that confrontation (I couldn't blame mister batsman for doing what he did tho.........intense provocation and all that.........and it was with a rather delightful smile wasn't it ), but that is nothing new in the world of sport; what does seem to be new is the general aggression as you point out, and I think that there are so many factors involved here. Upbringing; lack of discipline in home and school (not the teachers' fault, they are working with tied hands), a generation or two who believe that it is their right to have what they want when they want it, and who now are being told that they cannot have it. Also, all the reasons that Helena put forward.

I am going to become a recluse!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

I`m sure this has always gone on but now we know all about it, in excruciating detail. Riots, crime, trouble at sporting matches are all nothing new.
Turn your PC off for a while and sit in your garden. It will all swim into perspective.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-08-2011, 06:25 PM
tis a good question.

i have been asking myself the very same question for a few months now, inspired for different reasons, including by what i have witnessed or experienced on dogsey.

i think it comes down to the globalised economy and how it has turned us all into consumers, instead of citizens.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »