Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Littlepony
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2009, 12:16 PM

A second dog- Bad idea?!

Hi,

I have a 6 year old german shepherd whom I have had since he was 8 weeks old. He does not like strange dogs although he is well behaved in all other respects. He gets on with dogs he knows although he can be boisterous and abit rough with other dogs when playing.

I am concidering a second dog as a companion for my boy and myself. He is alone for about 5 hours a day and I think it would be nice for him to have someone to play with while I am at work.

I have afew reservations though such as his agression towards certain dogs, particulally as I would be out for part of the day. Also he is boisterous so would need a friend who could handle his excitable play.
I would like a younger dog and possibly a bitch this time.

So is this a terrible idea?... and what sort of god would be able to hold itself against a big playful GSD (I would love another gsd but dont know if I could have 2 very large dogs in the house, maybe 1 large and 1 medium would be best?!)
I would also not want a completley hyperactive breed (boarder collie etc), would this be asking the impossible?

And if i did decide to go ahead, what would be the best way to introduce a pup into a household that has been a 1 dog house for 6 years?
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 12:29 PM
If my experiences are anything to go by a bitch will soon be the boss. As long as he is neutered or she is there's much less chance of problems arising with a dog & a bitch than two dogs in the circumstances you mention. Perhaps you could foster a rescue with plans to adopt if all goeswell between them.
Littlepony
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks sue, he is neutered and well behaved around the house (except for barking at postman!) and outside he is fine as long as he is not approached by strange dogs, if he is introduced carefully he can be fine with them but it is touch and go, hence why i was thinking of a puppy that can grow up with him rather than an older dog set in its ways.

Breed wise i was thinking another gsd, although i dont know if 2 gsds would be too much work! I also love scottish terriers but they might be a little small?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 12:55 PM
I have a dog very similar, she hates strange dogs, but is fine with those she knows, I got a new puppy last year, she was fine within the hour and never had a problem between them.

Best of luck
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2009, 01:06 PM
Hi, I have an 8yr old gsd cross who can be very fussy about other dogs. She has accepted 2 other dogs in her lifetime. The first was an 8 year old springer spaniel dog and the latest has been a foxhound puppy bitch. I think from my experience she has less problems with confident dog friendly breeds. The foxhound is now 6 months old and I have never known my older dog play so much.

In my experience I have found tho that introductions are everything, take it very slowly.

Good luck with your decision xx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 01:17 PM
I would also recommend a GSD bitch. Have a look on the BigGSD site, as there are always some lovely dogs and bitches looking for new homes. I am also a volunteer for GSD Rescue up here in Scotland, so may be able to help if you are interested, depending on where you are based.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 01:24 PM
I think it is a good idea.

Two GSD's isn't too much work in all honesty. I only have the one at the moment, but have looked after my friend's GSD on numerous occasions, and he is bigger than Jess, and I don't find it any more difficult in all honesty.

PLUS if you have it from a pup, it will learn about your dogs behaviour moreso so will adapt more easily I think.

What is it that your dog is picky about with other dogs? Maybe a calm dog would help his boistrousness?
Littlepony
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Well he was attacked by a pit bull type a couple of years ago and he has been nervous of strange dogs ever since. He also hates other boisterous and over friendly dogs, and has a particular dislike for dalmations and staffies for some reason!!

Moobli thatnks for that I will certainly have a look, im based in Sunderland and will definatley contact you if i decide to go ahead!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Good on you - my GSDs have all loved having a companion over the years. I first got a little lurcher (found in the street) then when she died went to the Rescue kennels with my GSD who helped me choose one. He turned out to be a Shorthaired Pointer as it happened.
You could do worse than visit a local Rescue and let your dog meet his prospective friend first?