Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2007, 10:09 AM

Books! Please help

I'm after some actual behaviour books to study but don't want to be getting hold of the wrong type, if you know what I mean? (Some of you I've chatted to about it will!)

I've seen 'Think Dog!' by John Fisher and 'How Dogs Learn' by Mary Burch, just wondered if anyone had any reviews on them?

I've read (and still have to read) quite a few on dog training but they are generally written in a way that you can just use the techniques without really fully understanding what the dog's thinking.

I'm hoping to do a behaviour course as soon as I can afford it (getting rather impatient now!), but was wondering if anyone could suggest any good books?

Fankoo
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2007, 10:19 AM
How about something by Jan Fennell, the Dog Listener, she studdied wolfs, and her programme is pretty good, don't know if this is what you ment though
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2007, 10:24 AM
I've read (or partly read ) The Dog Listener. So I do have it... I've got mixed feelings about it myself and should probably finish it really!

It's too late anyway! I've just bought 'How Dogs Learn' after reading some fantastic reviews so am quite excited!! Still not sure about John Fisher's Think Dog! though, the reviews are pretty vague...
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2007, 12:10 PM
I have John Fisher's 'Why does my Dog?' and I think from what you have said, you would approve of his methods. In fact what you were saying you had done with Eddy was very similar to what he advocated...long lead, muzzle to be on the safe side. It was he who developed the discs idea. I think you would find at least some of it useful.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
I've read (or partly read ) The Dog Listener. So I do have it... I've got mixed feelings about it myself and should probably finish it really!

It's too late anyway! I've just bought 'How Dogs Learn' after reading some fantastic reviews so am quite excited!! Still not sure about John Fisher's Think Dog! though, the reviews are pretty vague...
How Dogs Learn is brill - it goes into all sorts and gives the scientific basics of what every dog trainer and behaviourist should understand and be aware of in this day and age :smt001

I am a John Fisher fan - he was such a star, a lone voice almost back in the 1980's. His books will mention pack leadership but if you get his last book, Diary of a Dotty Dog Doctor, he explains why he makes a U turn on it. So I'd still recommend highly his books as long as you are aware of that

Sarah Whitehead, who worked with him for years, has re written his course on Think Dog! and tutors at COAPE as you may know.

He's one of those people I'd like at a dinner party, he was full of humour and wisdom and, able also to be very humble and to have the grace to do that U turn. Think Dog! really does help an owner to appreciate things from the dog's point of view.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2007, 04:24 PM
You might want to take a peek at Brenda Aloff's books, on dog language and on Aggression in Dogs - some amazing photographs.

James O Heare is very useful on aggression, in particular, but rather in depth.

Wys
x
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by CLMG View Post
How about something by Jan Fennell, the Dog Listener, she studdied wolfs, and her programme is pretty good, don't know if this is what you ment though
Jan Fennell has visited Mission Wolf in last few years, but I dont think this would count as 'studying wolves' as such, as they are a captive pack.
Also, i dont think she studied wolves before she wrote 'The Dog Listener' (but would be happy to be corrected if mistaken), but she did repeat some erroneous info that had been so often repeated as 'fact' since the 1930/40's studies of captive artificial wolf packs, that it indeed take on the mantle of fact.

However, this is now corrected...check out:

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/mammals/alstat/intro.htm

By David Mech, USA Federal Government Biologist.

I would also try anything by the Coppingers, Karen Overall, The Culture clash by Jean Donaldson, and Excel-Erated Learning by Pamela Reid, and Dont Shoot The Dog by Karen Pryor.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Thanks guys,

I've ordered the two already mentioned and with my next pay cheque will be ordering those that you mentioned wys...

Krusewalker, thanks for the info - already got the culture clash and don't shoot the dog and was after a certain book by the coppingers but it was some ridiculous price!!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2007, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by CLMG View Post

I think Lottie is after useful books, more useful than emergency loo paper at least

Wys, wheres your list of recommended books, I`m sure you`ve posted one somewhere, you are a veritable Librarian on the good ones
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2007, 12:14 AM
I'm a big fan of Ian Dunbar.

I wonder though, how does anyone really claim to know what a dog is thinking?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >