View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Dawn all I am saying is ethical breeders do make a profit. Is that really so bad?
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 09:05 PM
ok dont know if this will post right or not but this is the breakdown of my expenditure on breeding my litter to see the PROFIT

Cost of breeding my litter,

Willows health checks, hips xrays and sending to be examined approx 100
“ blood test etc 100
“ general anesthesia 50
“ Eyes tested 25
Stud fee 800
Petrol traveling to and from sire’s kennel 100

So before even breeding costs are already 1,175

After mating.
Scan 40
Litter box made for me wood materials and labour 140
Heat lamp 30
Vet check 30
Suppliments 30
Cal D 40
Puppy formula for Willow few tubs @ £22 66
Puppies now born. X6
Vet check 30
Vaccinations (total course) £42 each £252.00 and worming for 6 300 inc vacc
Microbotic for whn pups got bad runs including vet check 62
KC registrations X 6 approx 90
Pedigrees printed (on the cheap by friend) 30
Food for Willow and pups willow fed them til they were 6 weeks
I kept them til they were 12 weeks 60
Vet bed bought full roll so there was some for each pup to take home 180
Toys and sundries easily 100
Puppy packs including 1 months supply of frozen meat/toys/bedding
Printed history of their lines including photographs/training books/leads
Collar/bowls all good quality. supply of worming tablets/supplements/
Etc and much more lets say £75 each max 450
Total out going 2,853

Sold 4 puppies kept 2 puppies sold at 850 each so 4 x 850 = 3,400
Total income at this point 547
Less refunds to each puppy on neutering and speying as per my contract
And on production of proof from vet (all done now) 4 x 100 400
less gift vouchers towards training school 4x£20 80
postage and sundries 29

so from breeding this litter, and after sleeping downstairs with mum and pups for 12 weeks my “income” was £38.00, that’s not including taking out for many sundries on top of the £29 already included.

Mo

edited to add if I breed again everything will be the same expenditure apart from the welping box and the heat lamp and also the hip scoring thats IF I used the SAME bitch, but now the stud fee will be higher so I would still be paying out more of less the same, to say reputable breeders make a profit is just not true, bear in mind this litter went smoothly if there had been complications I would really have bred at a large loss, you just cant say reputable breeder make a profit because all you think is that once certain things are paid for the first time around they are not included next time round which is just NOT true.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Wow wish I'd made that much, you could almost buy your food for a couple of weeks for that!
Becky
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 09:21 PM
Mo would you mind doing the list again but taking out initial starting costs so that we're talking about an average litter. And vaccinations as most ethical breeders as I understand don't vaccinate their pups? As-well as the neutering and training school vouchers
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
Mo would you mind doing the list again but taking out initial starting costs so that we're talking about an average litter. And vaccinations as most ethical breeders as I understand don't vaccinate their pups?
I think you'll find most ethical breeders insist on vaccinating pups. Again, how rude !!

Why would you take out initial starting costs ?? Without breeding, she wouldn't have these costs, which is why they are included.

I'm not the only one here that thinks your line of questioning and also your whole attitude to breeders in general really stinks and is very rude to say the least.

My question about showing/breeding was a valid one.

As you don't show or breed, how on earth can you possibly argue the point when you have no idea because you haven't done it ??
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 09:29 PM
ALso why take out money for trainin vouchers ??

If thats what she likes to give, why take out the cost for it.

You're trying to find fault with what ethical breeders give their pups now are you ? Or are you just miffed because rescue dogs leave for their new home with nothing ?
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
ok dont know if this will post right or not but this is the breakdown of my expenditure on breeding my litter to see the PROFIT

Cost of breeding my litter,

Willows health checks, hips xrays and sending to be examined approx 100
“ blood test etc 100
“ general anesthesia 50
“ Eyes tested 25
Stud fee 800
Petrol traveling to and from sire’s kennel 100

So before even breeding costs are already 1,175

After mating.
Scan 40
Litter box made for me wood materials and labour 140
Heat lamp 30
Vet check 30
Suppliments 30
Cal D 40
Puppy formula for Willow few tubs @ £22 66
Puppies now born. X6
Vet check 30
Vaccinations (total course) £42 each £252.00 and worming for 6 300 inc vacc
Microbotic for whn pups got bad runs including vet check 62
KC registrations X 6 approx 90
Pedigrees printed (on the cheap by friend) 30
Food for Willow and pups willow fed them til they were 6 weeks
I kept them til they were 12 weeks 60
Vet bed bought full roll so there was some for each pup to take home 180
Toys and sundries easily 100
Puppy packs including 1 months supply of frozen meat/toys/bedding
Printed history of their lines including photographs/training books/leads
Collar/bowls all good quality. supply of worming tablets/supplements/
Etc and much more lets say £75 each max 450
Total out going 2,853

Sold 4 puppies kept 2 puppies sold at 850 each so 4 x 850 = 3,400
Total income at this point 547
Less refunds to each puppy on neutering and speying as per my contract
And on production of proof from vet (all done now) 4 x 100 400
less gift vouchers towards training school 4x£20 80
postage and sundries 29

so from breeding this litter, and after sleeping downstairs with mum and pups for 12 weeks my “income” was £38.00, that’s not including taking out for many sundries on top of the £29 already included.

Mo

edited to add if I breed again everything will be the same expenditure apart from the welping box and the heat lamp and also the hip scoring thats IF I used the SAME bitch, but now the stud fee will be higher so I would still be paying out more of less the same, to say reputable breeders make a profit is just not true, bear in mind this litter went smoothly if there had been complications I would really have bred at a large loss, you just cant say reputable breeder make a profit because all you think is that once certain things are paid for the first time around they are not included next time round which is just NOT true.
i think a few of your costs were quite cheap really considering,what bout electric to run the heat lamp,and hourly rates foryourself after all you had to take time off work,what bout food while willow was pregnant,what bout the stress invoved in the littwer,the time you sat for whelping and the times you sat with her when they were first born,
some ppl that dont breed assume we make tons of money,because most of it comes back in and around the one same time,they dont take in to consideration the time invovled the stress the outlay which led to the litter in the first place,and to come on here and try to make out that each and every breeder on here are bybs then im affraid it dont wash,anne uk go to a site were they allow them and ask them if they make a profit,im sure youl find they do,
and even if were all liars each and everyone of us,im sure you can then revert to the op question of who is responsible for the most unwanted pups?
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

The initial starting cost have to be there because if you are using a different bitch you STILL have the outlay ie health test etc, and you still have the sire fee (if you dont own both)we are talking reputable breeders here that will only breed from a bitch a few times in her lifetime, ie once or twice, and in my case breed specific health test required are lower than in other breeds that have to have things such as elbows,chd etc so really there is no "average" litter as such because each breed has variations on expenditure,some breeds cannot have normal births either and always require C sections which should also be included in the costs.

Mo

edited to say all the figures I have mentioned are all very conservative, I will not remove any training vouchers/neutering refunds etc, because I as a breeder give these and that MY perogative as a breeder, and I feel I AM reputable, and these ARE part of my being reputable.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I think you'll find most ethical breeders insist on vaccinating pups. Again, how rude !!
Do they? I remember a thread not so long ago where breeders were giving their reasons why they don't
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 09:34 PM
I find this thread very interesting , and very educational , maybe the BYB and PF of this world should come on here and have a read , maybe just maybe they would do things the ethicle way , but when they are the ones making the loads of cash ,instead of the ethicle breeders ,who actually put there heart and soul into breeding , i would doubt it ,as all they see is a fast way to make money xx dk
Page 17 of 42 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 > Last »