View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2006, 10:21 PM
When I first put Bongo on Burns I actually thought that the recommended quantities looked a trifle stingy (and she thought I was trying to starve her!!!) but now she's within their recommendations and we're both happy with it. Still get a warm welcome from the vet, who says she's one of very few patients who isn't overweight!
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2006, 08:14 AM
i do weight out there food and they go through days where they eat all of it and others where they dont but at least i now they have had what was on offer, but i dont worry as they all look great. i would not worry to much.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2006, 08:35 AM
Like us all dogs are different in the amount they need and want to keep healthy.
My 2 actually have more than the reccomended amount plus treats and are not at all overweight, but then they are excitable lively dogs so burn it off quickly.
Once every 2-3 weeks they will actually refuse about half of one of thier feeds, just regulating themselves I expect.
Unless they are losing weight I wouldn't worry about a dog eating less, cheaper on the pocket
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Thank you so much for posting this thread Inca. Oscar only takes just over half the amount asnd I was worried in case I was starving him!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2006, 10:53 AM
aww bless M .............. she refused breakfast so it got put up i think she is playing food games ....but we don't have any of that here

they either eat on time or wait till next meal I'm a hard mama LOL
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2006, 12:18 PM
Nope. I weighed it out once and put the daily amount in a separate bowl, then gave Poppy the amount I usually gave her each meal time, the daily amount according the bag actually lasted her 3 days!

Poppy isn't a greedy dog and will eat as much as she wants, if she's had enough she'll happily walk away from the plate.

We do weigh her regularly and the vet has always said she's a good weight/size, so I'm not too bothered that she doesn't eat what it says on the bag. I think companies say a higher amount to get you to buy more.

When she goes through a phase of wanting moist food, she's supposed to eat 4 - 5 trays a day, but she only has 2 possibly 2.5 a day and is happy enough.
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2006, 08:37 PM
Missy is now fed on JWB Light/Senior. She weighs 18.45kg. She put weight on when she was not allowed any exercise following surgery , despite me cutting her food right down. (She was 19.5kg in August). Going by the guide on the bag , she should be getting 240g . My vet advised cutting back by a third. I cut it by half instead , which my vet is happy with. Just now , she gets 100g JWB with a tablespoonfull of cooked chicken mince. As soon as she gets to her target weight of 17 .5kg , I'll then need to adjust the amount to maintain her weight.
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 02:04 AM
No, I would use that as only a guide,
I give Cruz and China 1 1/2 cups of dry, pasta or rice, kelp, garlic,yogurt or cottage cheese and meat and that ranges from roo, rabbitt, beef, mutton and horse
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2