View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-01-2011, 08:28 PM
I know, can't say it was the clearest report I have ever read!

I think if the optimum calcium level is normally considered to be around 1.5 I am a bit worried about permanently feeding 2.1.

They are on pacific stream right now (although also have 2 bags of the bison one which is the 2.1)

I emailed TOTW and they suggested I switch to the lamb one they do which is 1.6 but typically zooplus don't stock that one.

Thanks for all your help anyway guys...
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 08:34 PM
unless you add some plain meat in there ? That would lower the overall calcium percentage. The study dosnt tell you what amounts and what the other levels were that were used in the study though, or even on a dry or wet matter basis, so its hard to say.

Good luck anyway, whatever you decide to go for

Could you feed the bison one 50/50 with the lamb version, I'm thinking 1.6 + 2.5 = 4.11
/2 = 2.05, just a tad lower until you can order the lamb version? Then go onto the 1.6% lamb version?

tbh I wouldnt worry about it too much, I'd just use what was there and go onto the lamb version when you could OR order the lamb and start using that with a little bison v until it was used up.

Good luck anyway, you'll find something
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 09:49 PM
did you keep your dogs on totw?
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 10:36 PM
How would extrra calcium affect fully grown dogs?
I was under the impression that adult dogs are quite able to excrete excess calcium... hence the "white dog poo" of former days (and still well known to raw feeders!).

AFAIK giving more bone in a raw diet doesn't have any serious consequences apart from possible constipation in some dogs. This came up recently when I found a good local source of cheap human-grade meaty pork spare rib bones, so I queried it on BritBarf. Consensus was that if the dog is coping and isn't getting constipated then a little extra bone is OK (and that was from a vet who raw feeds).
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-02-2011, 04:35 AM
The calcium issue is much more of a concern for giant breeds like the Great Dane, yet TOTW is one of the top reccommended and used foods out there for our breed. It is a great choice for grain free kibble. The fact of the matter is, we will always find something in the ingredients in ANYTHING we ingest ourselves, or feed our dogs, that isn't the absolute best for us. It all comes down to choosing the best we possibly can...really there's not much else you can do. As more and more people are becoming interested in just what we feed our pets, these studies and theories will come out of the wordwork, like we are now seeing. If your dogs are doing good on this food, and you're otherwise happy with the product, then don't stress yourself too much. Trust me I know. I spent a year making myself almost sick worrying about food for Luke Also, it's the calcium/phospherous levels that are important, not just the calcium. U can have foods with less calcium but the incorrect ratio to phospherous and have more problems. Or so some say.
Over all, I love this food..I reccommend it to all giant breed owners as a great option.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2