View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 10:19 PM
If you walk your own dogs anywhere near the travellers' site, make sure their vaccinations are up to date. Parvo seems to follow travellers around.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Exactly Sarah...........these people are not true Gypsies, just dodgers of tax in all it's forms, whilst destroying places of beauty and making them no go areas for others. True Romanies take care of their animals as I said before, but these people seem to only have dogs to warn them when people are passing by.
Yup, same sort of people we had to deal with. Left behind wreckage and a pile of filth when they finally moved on too. Despite the fact they broke into our site they apparently had the right to stay there for so long before the police could do anything too
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
If you walk your own dogs anywhere near the travellers' site, make sure their vaccinations are up to date. Parvo seems to follow travellers around.
Thank you for that warning, he is due for his booster in February. Was not sure whether to do it, as he never interacts much with other dogs but you have made up my mind for me!

Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Yup, same sort of people we had to deal with. Left behind wreckage and a pile of filth when they finally moved on too. Despite the fact they broke into our site they apparently had the right to stay there for so long before the police could do anything too
Doesn't it make you mad that they have every right under the sun to do whatever they like, wherever they like, and nobody can do anything about it without going through a lengthy and costly procedure.

Well, the river has frozen over now so I wonder if they will just tip all their filth on top of the ice? If anyone normal (well, you wouldn't be normal to do it would you ) behaved like that then Environmental Health would be down on their heads like a ton of bricks, but this lot cannot be touched it seems. As the man from the Council put it...."It is more than my job is worth, and I would undoubtedly lose it, if I was to fail to follow the proper procedures".
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2010, 08:33 PM
I doubt the RSPCA will do anything about this. The field near my Mum's has horses owned by gypsies on it. They are tethered to short ropes and have no shelter or water. This summer a work colleague reported the situation to the RSPCA but they said the horses were adequately cared for!

Many years ago we had gypsies come and take over our local park so we could not walk our dogs there as they had loose aggressive dogs running around. The police and RSPCA would do nothing and I was fuming when I was paying large amounts of council tax and not able to use the amenities to exercise my dogs.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
No, they are not in the least bit interested. No surprise there. Well done you for rescuing your chap.

I am on the case Helena.......but the Council have to "play by the rules" apparently. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

the shelter is hardly adequate, well not to my mind anyway. The poor Alsatian has a wooden kennel that is just about right for a terrier. The staffie x's have wire cages with a bit of plastic over the top. the temperature is currently about minus 15.

No, the RSPCA are not interested - on some days there are water bowls, and on others there are not. It is on these "not" days that the dogs are frantically licking the snow.
Poor dogs - fancy the RSPCA not being involved - I thought they were supposed to care
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-12-2010, 09:09 PM
I am on the case Helena.......but the Council have to "play by the rules" apparently. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
The fact is the councils are scarred witless by these people. When I was down in Glastonbury in July I saw the council had provided free 16 plots to 'travellers' not just plots but laid on electric and water and hard standing for their caravans and a little utilty building too. A six foot brick wall was provided around the plot (Apprx. 1/8 of an acre) and a wrought iron gate.

One of them had a sign on it 'For Sale' not being sure at the time of who they belonged too I phoned the number and asked the guy why he was selling 'Oh I've got another one not far away' was his reply. He was asking £120K for it
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
The fact is the councils are scarred witless by these people. When I was down in Glastonbury in July I saw the council had provided free 16 plots to 'travellers' not just plots but laid on electric and water and hard standing for their caravans and a little utilty building too.
Was that around Sharpham?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Poor dogs - fancy the RSPCA not being involved - I thought they were supposed to care
They seem to be selectively caring.

Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I doubt the RSPCA will do anything about this. The field near my Mum's has horses owned by gypsies on it. They are tethered to short ropes and have no shelter or water. This summer a work colleague reported the situation to the RSPCA but they said the horses were adequately cared for!

Many years ago we had gypsies come and take over our local park so we could not walk our dogs there as they had loose aggressive dogs running around. The police and RSPCA would do nothing and I was fuming when I was paying large amounts of council tax and not able to u
se the amenities to exercise my dogs.
I have heard similar stories so very often. Unless an animal is near to death they are just not interested and by then it is often too late.

Originally Posted by Losos View Post
The fact is the councils are scarred witless by these people. When I was down in Glastonbury in July I saw the council had provided free 16 plots to 'travellers' not just plots but laid on electric and water and hard standing for their caravans and a little utilty building too. A six foot brick wall was provided around the plot (Apprx. 1/8 of an acre) and a wrought iron gate.

One of them had a sign on it 'For Sale' not being sure at the time of who they belonged too I phoned the number and asked the guy why he was selling 'Oh I've got another one not far away' was his reply. He was asking £120K for it
The man from our Council said that first of all they had to offer the travellers an alternative site, which presumably is similar to what you have described above. They then have to wait for a reply.........and wait.............and wait. Nothing ever happens, so then they issue another "invitation" to move to this alternative purpose built site. After weeks and weeks, if there is no response, or if the travellers turn down the offer, then they can begin proceedings to evict them. This can take a month.

In the meantime, they can dump their sewage down the river bank; pile up disgusting rubbish around the perimeter of their caravans; treat their dogs appallingly; prevent others from using an area that used to be full of happy dog walkers, etc. etc., without any fear of retribution.

To go back to the original point of my post - those poor poor dogs. Today when I went past (avoiding the generator by the path which was spewing out black oil) the Alsatian could barely summon a bark, although his tail still wagged a little, and the staffie types with their short short coats just looked wretched.

I could cry for them.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-12-2010, 11:11 AM
which presumably is similar to what you have described above. They then have to wait for a reply.........and wait.............and wait. Nothing ever happens, so then they issue another "invitation" to move to this alternative purpose built site.
If you have the time look at what the council will provide them for free and gratis just enter 'Gales Drove, Glastonbury, UK' into Google maps and you will see the site, Gales Drove is just off Brindham Lane, at the time when Google photographed it five plots were completed and three more were awaiting the concreting of the plot (So they could get there caravans and pick ups on without getting stuck in the mud ) you can see those three are dark coloured. The one for sale was the first one on the left (As you enter, on the right in photo) you can see the huge wrought iron gate, the six foot wall all around, and the utility building. I'm guessing the plot is between 1/8 and 1/4 of an acre in size, since Google photographed it eight more have been added all at the expense of the council tax payers of Glastonbury

If you want to check if it's still for sale I can PM you the mobile number of the traveler who claims to have another one not far away.......hmmm wonder if the council know about that
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Was that around Sharpham?
No, this one was just North east of Glastonbury (I think it's known as Watts End, just past the hospital) see my post above but it's interesting you mention Sharpham, is there another 'travellers' camp there because I see it's not far from the one I'm talking about and the guy did say he had another one not far away.

Looks like they've found a nice little earner, get the council to give you a plot claiming you have nowhere to put your caravan and pick up, when actually you already have a place, and then try to sell it for £120K

ETA:-
I tried to find the post code but it looks like Royal Mail don't want to know about these people 'cos there is no postcode on Royal Mails web site even when you enter the full and correct street address, another way they keep below Inland Revenue radar !!!
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »