Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2008, 03:29 PM

Laptop - Which One

Ok, I have a very good desktop computer, well so I've been told. All I want is a laptop to be used solely for Dogsey and Messenger. Nothing will be stored on it so I dont want anything super duper

I have been looking through the free-ads and have found a few - My problem is, I haven't got a bloomin clue regarding computers

If I list the ones advertised can someone point me in the right direction.

1 - Dell Pentium-4, 1700Mhz, 256MB RAM, 30GB hardisk, Wireless Internet, DVD & CD Writer, English Windows XP, 11 months old. 385 euros

2 - IBM Pentium 3, 512MB Ram, 30GB hardisk, Internet ready, wireless slot. English Windows XP. Fast and immaculate machine. 299 euros

3 - Toshiba 4600 Laptop, Windows 98, 10GB hdd, cdrom, intel celeron, infra red, internet modem, usb c/w case and charger 250 euros.

What do you think, I only want it so I can sit in the garden in the summer rather than being stuck in the office.
If they're all rubbish just let me know!

Thanks x
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Wish i could help you sharon but i bet someone will be here soon to help you good luck
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by chelsea View Post
Wish i could help you sharon but i bet someone will be here soon to help you good luck
You and I are about on par as far as computers go
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2008, 03:41 PM
i havent a clue about the numbers but i have a dell and im happy with it!

sorry

Leo will be able to shed light on it she is a whizz with computers!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by shaza View Post
Ok, I have a very good desktop computer, well so I've been told. All I want is a laptop to be used solely for Dogsey and Messenger. Nothing will be stored on it so I dont want anything super duper

I have been looking through the free-ads and have found a few - My problem is, I haven't got a bloomin clue regarding computers

If I list the ones advertised can someone point me in the right direction.

1 - Dell Pentium-4, 1700Mhz, 256MB RAM, 30GB hardisk, Wireless Internet, DVD & CD Writer, English Windows XP, 11 months old. 385 euros

2 - IBM Pentium 3, 512MB Ram, 30GB hardisk, Internet ready, wireless slot. English Windows XP. Fast and immaculate machine. 299 euros

3 - Toshiba 4600 Laptop, Windows 98, 10GB hdd, cdrom, intel celeron, infra red, internet modem, usb c/w case and charger 250 euros.

What do you think, I only want it so I can sit in the garden in the summer rather than being stuck in the office.
If they're all rubbish just let me know!

Thanks x
Out of those the Dell would be my bet but I would add some memory to it. 256mb is the bare minimum to run XP on and I'm surpriesed that's all that's in it. The IBM has a slower processor but more memory so is also not a bad machine. Forget the Toshiba entirely, Celeron processors in my mind are a big no no.
To be perfectly honest you can get a brand new machine for not much more than 385 euros I would think! Hope this helps
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

25-01-2008, 04:58 PM
I think at the moment Dell have some really cheap new laptops, around the £300 mark, so might be worth a look on their website first, as then at least you could get a brand new one with a warranty too, for not a lot more!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by I-mac77 View Post
I think at the moment Dell have some really cheap new laptops, around the £300 mark, so might be worth a look on their website first, as then at least you could get a brand new one with a warranty too, for not a lot more!
Yep agree in principle just be careful regarding their customer service at the moment. You're ok as long as the lead time doesn't extend. The acer ones are a pretty good offer at the moment and have come down a lot in price. My acer has been fab.
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

25-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Shaza - just sent you pm!
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

25-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
Yep agree in principle just be careful regarding their customer service at the moment. You're ok as long as the lead time doesn't extend. The acer ones are a pretty good offer at the moment and have come down a lot in price. My acer has been fab.
I agree with regards to their customer service, but as the ones listed above are second hand, thought it might be a better option
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by I-mac77 View Post
I agree with regards to their customer service, but as the ones listed above are second hand, thought it might be a better option
Yep absolutely, think Shaza's second hand prices are steep considering what they are.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >