View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 03:33 PM
My first dog - a very sweet and intelligent rehomed GSD was perfect. Kind, protective, clever, tolerant....I thought they were all like that and had a very rude awakening when my next one (from a breeder BTW) was a total Moo!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Great thread I do think that many people don't think you can get well adjusted, well behaved rescue dogs without any issues.

I have had two what I would call "rescue" dogs. Neither came from rescue centres, but were older dogs looking for a new home.

My first GSD was 16 months old and came from the police, she was a *reject* police dog but she did come with a few issues.

My other *rehome* dog is Rip, my five year old collie. He came to me as his shepherd owner had died suddenly. He had to be rehomed, along with 7 or 8 other border collies. He is the nicest, most well behaved and well adjusted dog. He is great with other dogs, children and people. He doesn't chase anything at all - including rabbits or any small furries. He works the sheep for me as though I trained him myself and is as loyal as the dogs I have had from pups. In a word he is marvellous

Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
but in your own case, doesnt your second paragraph contradict your first?

this isnt a criticism of you or your dog btw.
its not a criticism of rescues dogs either, as i have been employed full time in rescue for about 12 years and rehomed well over 100 dogs myself.
It doesnt contradict at all because I stated that not all rescue dogs have anxiety issues...I didnt say my own rescue dog isnt anxious
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 08:28 PM
well I am chucking my oar in even though my own rescue dog does have an issue.

Bruno can / is be dog aggressive, however we knew this when taking him on as did the rescue so it wasnt a surprise. However in ALL other aspects he is a wonderful dog. great with people, loves my son, quite obedient, NEVER chews, never destroyed or peed in house etc etc.

I took him on knowingly and i would always go for a rescue now. It is sad that the assumption is that they come with issues - i would say they come with a little baggage is all, but nothing that should put you off - after all people come with their own baggage too LOL
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 08:42 PM
In 40 years I have owned 6 dogs, 5 of those were rescued.
Of those 5, one had issues like you would not believe and some of you might remember she had to be returned to the rehoming centre. She was more than my hubby and I could handle. We didn't have the mental or physical strength to cope with her.
Soooo 4 out of 5 aint bad The chances of getting a good rescue is probably as good as a good pup.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
It doesnt contradict at all because I stated that not all rescue dogs have anxiety issues...I didnt say my own rescue dog isnt anxious
Goo Point
Breezay
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Sox has been a delight ever since we got him from the RSPCA, 2 years ago. Apart from a few silly quirks of his, like not liking the Vet :P, he is perfect.

He came from an elderly person's home, the man became too ill to care for Sox. We saw him and had him home in just over a week. He'd only been at the RSPCA for a few days.
Right now he is sitting infront of the radiator waiting for his Daddy to come home.
Silly Puppy
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 08:05 AM
Zoe my whippet came from the local dog and cat home where she had been for weeks . This was probably due to the fact her teeth were not in great shape and they thought she was older than she was .
When I collected this little skeleton at lunch time I asked what food she had that day , I was told none
I quickly found out she had absolutely no issues . She was fully trained including being house trained . She could sit , lie down and walk on the lead perfectly . She liked everyone but not to the extent of jumping all over them .
She did not suffer from separation anxiety and was in fact perfect in every way . I had her for 6 years until she died .
I have no idea how she came to be in a home she was supposedly a stray
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 08:23 AM
I love this post. Well done Miss E.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2009, 12:35 PM
This is a great thread!

Maggie is our first ever rescue. Before getting her we were concerned that most rescues may have issues or behaviour problems we wouldn't be able to deal with (a common misconception no doubt!)

We spent a lot of time looking for the right dog and with a lot of help from the people who work there we got Maggie.
We've only had her 6 weeks so I know we might have blips to come, but so far she has been perfect. Calm, gentle, polite to everyone, great with dogs, children, elderly people, can be left, no issues with food or toys. We've had the builders in making a racket and she didn't bat an eyelid.....more than we could have ever hoped for in any dog be it rescue or pup. Her one vice is cats, squiggles and bunnies, but I'm not complaining! I feel we've been truely blessed to find her.

I have to say it's rescues for me from now on!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >