Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Lynn.
Do you think a Shetland Pony could run in the Derby and do equally as well as a Thoroughbred? If not, why not? They are the same species, yes? Surely the Shetland should be able to compete and perform as well as the Thoroughbred?

See my point? Horses for courses.........
Shetland ponies can breathe and can give birth without help. They can run and jump-----all horses ought to be able to do that.

So should all dogs.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post

Some people can get really cross about it. I've spoken to Terry Pearson quite a bit (he's helping find me someone to help with Oscar's training) and he gets quite riled about the coats! The breed club has recently applied to change the standard to make light coats a fault so hopefully it'll put a stop to it.
The lady I was talking to , was saying the breed as a whole is need of a bit of tightening up, to little , to much coat, to tall and to short dogs, they are taking it very seriously , and dont want them to go the same way the smooth has gone.........all shapes and sizes in the ring!!

Had a very informative talk to her,

The more I see of them , the more I feel they might suite but my OH loves the springer he loves a dog that has a little individuality to others in their breed, he not a fan of them all looking the same
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Shetland ponies can breathe and can give birth without help. They can run and jump-----all horses ought to be able to do that.

So should all dogs.
rune
As long as they dont have deformed legs, a Shetland with deformed legs wont go jumping very far!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
The lady I was talking to , was saying the breed as a whole is need of a bit of tightening up, to little , to much coat, to tall and to short dogs, they are taking it very seriously , and dont want them to go the same way the smooth has gone.........all shapes and sizes in the ring!!

Had a very informative talk to her,

The more I see of them , the more I feel they might suite but my OH loves the springer he loves a dog that has a little individuality to others in their breed, he not a fan of them all looking the same
Yes the Wire Vizsla still has a way to go, but that's only to be expected in a breed so young. The vast majority of breeders are doing an amazing job - lots of imports and pretty much everyone seems to take the health and working side seriously. This is what swayed me from the Slovak to the Wire Vizsla in the end.

What worries me now is them being granted CC status, it's great and all but you've got to wonder how "fashionable" they're going to become. I really hope people don't start breeding the working side out of them.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 06:21 PM

So should all dogs.

rune
just like to point out that not all flat faced dogs, i.e pugs are unhealthy. we have plenty who come in the kennels who run about and play with other dogs we put out with them. alot of them quicker than some of those they are playing with they arent tired when they come back in or out of breath, certainly dont seem as unhealthy as everyone makes out.

there are plenty of pugs who do agility.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
As long as they dont have deformed legs, a Shetland with deformed legs wont go jumping very far!
Another bingo----precisel;y my point.

Bad breeding is bad breeding whatever. All bad----or is it OK if the KC support it?

rune
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
just like to point out that not all flat faced dogs, i.e pugs are unhealthy. we have plenty who come in the kennels who run about and play with other dogs we put out with them. alot of them quicker than some of those they are playing with they arent tired when they come back in or out of breath, certainly dont seem as unhealthy as everyone makes out.

there are plenty of pugs who do agility.
ahh but i have seen sooo many pugs in my career with eye problems..many having to have them removed (and ckcs)
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Yes as always, I think show people are just an easy target tbh. People often think because the dog works it must be healthy and well bred but trust me that so often just isn't the case.

Each side has it's faults - showing can change the look of a breed to make it more flashy and dilute working ability. Working means the look disappears altogether and health often goes out of the window, but because it works then that's ok??? Not for me it's not, I'll only ever breed to better the breed and that to me means perfect health, excellent temperament, correct conformation and working ability. If you do go for a show Springer let me know, I might be able to give you a heads up re breeders, lines, health etc.
I agree, and don't know anyone who would disagree, that there are faults in factions of both show and working breeders.

However, when you say that "the look disappears and health often goes out the window", I would strongly disagree (in collies at least ) The look of original (working) border collies hasn't changed over the years to any degree at all and health (ISDS dogs are always eye tested and quite often hip-scored too) is always of utmost important to conscientious working dog breeders - after all, they want a work mate who is fit and active well into middle and older age.

I do commend you for your possible future breeding plans - however, with all due respect, you aren't breeding dogs to help you with the work you need to do day after day to pay your wages and feed your family. People who breed dogs to help with their livelihood would be foolish not to breed the best possible animals they can for the job they need to do (and yes, health and temperament do play a part in that too).
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 07:05 PM

So should all dogs.

rune
So can Pekes, in fact they are among the longest living dogs we have. Pugs live a long time too. Why dont Wolfhounds? or Borzois?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
So can Pekes, in fact they are among the longest living dogs we have. Pugs live a long time too. Why dont Wolfhounds? or Borzois?
hmm hadnt thought of that
Page 14 of 30 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 > Last »