Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lyndella
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2006, 10:57 AM

Hyper active dog, any advice?

Hello.....a couple of months ago I rehomed a northern inuit called storm, she went to a lovily family with 16 acres of land and lots of love and freedom....but they have called me to say that she was out of control and attacks the cat, gets tooooo excited and jumps all over other dogs and basically the woman has no control of her and can I take her back.......I went to the house yesterday and she was ott....the reason I rehomed her was because my sib had got so fed up with all the mental playing;and ended up just cowering....the inuit is called storm....storms brothers have stayed with the parents and are completly different...maybe because they are still in a pack...I dont want to have her back as it was too much for me and I wondered if anyone has any advise....we are reintroducing her back to me this wed and shes full time coming back next monday...
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2006, 11:01 AM
Have you tried asking Storms breeder to help?
lyndella
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2006, 11:07 AM
I cant do that...I have told him but its not a good idea, he already has too many and they are always .....well I would rather find another home......is there a nu centre that would help...I tried really hard with storm but she is too much...people have said they would have her but she needs to have a strong hand...the last people were maybe too soft, she is very stubborn.....she is about six months old
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Sorry to hear such sad news. If the breeder is uninterested in dealing with poor Stor, perhaps you should contact the NI Society. They might have a list of people wanting to rehome an NI. Sorry i dont know what else to suggest. Best of luck and let us know what happens x
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2006, 04:47 PM
Sorry the re-home did not work, it is not fair on the dog to be moved about so much and unfair on you if you are unable to deal with her, that is her breeders job. Do feel that people should not breed or have stud dogs unless they are prepared to take back and correct any unfortunate behaviour, if the owner of the bitch can't take this puppy what about the stud owner?

Failing that I suppose you must hope someone who is used to these dogs will take her in and set about correct training after all she is still a pup and needs guidance, a dog will behave to suit it's self unless it is shown the behaviour that is required. Hope you can find someone to take on this pup and train it correctly or it is likely to continue, as now, forever being moved from home to home and getting more difficult with every move.

All this must leave you in a very difficult position but I think there is a club and failing getting help from the breeder or the stud owner then there must be someone known to the club who is capable and able to help with this one.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2006, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by lyndella
I cant do that...I have told him but its not a good idea, he already has too many and they are always .....well I would rather find another home......is there a nu centre that would help...I tried really hard with storm but she is too much...people have said they would have her but she needs to have a strong hand...the last people were maybe too soft, she is very stubborn.....she is about six months old
Horrible problem but maybe she just doesn't know what is required of her? Often peeps who have lots of land think that means they don't have to bother training! Sorry that's generalising but I've seen it too often.

She may simply need someone interested in NIs and also in training and helping her to understand her role in living with humans
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2006, 04:59 PM
NOOOOOO not an NI, they are perfect arent they? Perhaps they are just dogs after all!!!

I hope you get the problem sorted it must be very worrying for you.
Dawn.
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2006, 05:30 PM
What about mentally stimulating games to try to distract Storm from being so boisterous ? My excessively bouncy, happy, so pleased to see everyone Staffie has calmed down so much she's like a different dog.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2006, 05:55 PM
Steady up Borderdawn, never know what you may bring down on your head.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Pita
Steady up Borderdawn, never know what you may bring down on your head.
OOPS! Yes sorry Jackie, thank you!

Dawn.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >