Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2018, 12:06 PM

Daily Thread Friday 19th January

Good morning everyone (well it was when I started to type)

Lovely happy well groomed dogs then Mandy and Bessoeker. Good that they like the groomers makes it so much easier on both.

Hope you have found something to help you Moyra and are feeling a little better

Hope Gill is still doing well at home Lynn

Lovely morning here after a sharp frost. Been busy putting in some edging along the bottom of the new fence panel to keep the earth off the wood and also to stop the foxes digging under and keep her ladyship out of next door if I have failed to see the hole Its not exactly straight but we were hampered by large amounts of concrete to hold the posts in and old concrete never removed - no wonder `I have a problem digging that part of the garden. Fortunately only very narrow so not much I can bury there any way! Have put in a climbing rose so that hampered us a bit. Still job done

Hope all are keeping well

Have a good day and stay safe
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

19-01-2018, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Sue L View Post
we were hampered by large amounts of concrete to hold the posts in and old concrete never removed
In my opinion putting fence posts in concrete does nothing to maintain stability and greatly increases the speed of rot of the post since the water can't drain away.

Much better to treat the post end with something like Cuprinol, then bitumen, finaly wrap in a heavy duty sheet of polythene, (BUT leave the end open so the water can drain away.) then put it in the ground. this will last much longer and if packed with a few stones will be just as secure.

But that all takes time, contractors these days are just interested in a 'quick' job, the old tradesmen don't exist anymore

And both you and I are left with lumps of concrete just where we want to plant something

Oh well that's my 'rant of the day' done Hope you are all happy and healthy and furry friends as well. His highness (Lord Casey) will be pestering me soon so I'm away now, see you latter.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2018, 01:32 PM
We were so sick of replacing wooden fencing posts that we finally bit the bullet and opted for concrete posts. Expensive, but I'm sure they will be cost effective in the long run. They've been in for 4 years now and haven't budged so already we have been saved work changing over the wooden ones. It's a very high water table here so the garden is soaked for most of the winter which doesn't really help. We also put in the concrete base boards this time and heavy duty fencing so hopefully it will last us for quite a while.

It was white over with frost here this morning and zero degrees when we set off for our morning gad about, but it was much nicer that previous days because there was very little wind today so a lovely walk.

While we were at the cafe we go to (we sit outside with Rosie) there were three young ladies on the next table each with prams. One was telling her friend about the problem she had getting her child out of its foster home to go with them for the walk. After a few minutes, all three left the babies in the prams outside then went into the cafe themselves because they were cold. I wonder why that lady's child ended up in care <sigh>.

Hope everyone has a good day x
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-01-2018, 01:48 PM
Afternoon all.
Sue it sounds like it’s been all go since your feet have hit terra firma.
Hope you’re acclimatising back to chilly weather. My nephew and his wife are probably landing in Oz as I write this, lucky devils. If my lottery ticket comes up at the weekend a trip down under is 1st on my list. If not it will have to stay on my bucket (or more likely ****it list).

We had a tree blow down. Luckily it wasn’t too big or the damage too invasive.
Still means yet another job to do though so hubby needs to get his chainsaw revved up at the weekend.

I decided to offload about 10 years worth of change into the coinstar machine at the supermarket, came to £47! No wonder I could hardly carry my handbag but every little helps as they say.

Hope everyone else and their 4 legged friends are ok.
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2018, 02:24 PM
Hope Casey has enjoyed his walk Harvey

The posts are concrete dojo rotting there just massive amounts of concrete holding them in

Pleasedthe damge isn’t too bad Twixanno doubt hubby will enjoy playing with his chain saw
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2018, 03:16 PM
Hello all
Back from my trip to the hairdresser, any grey strands now hidden by highlights although my hairdresser says I’ve hardly any grey bits
It is flipping freezing out there brrr! Rosie shivered even in her coat today. Lauryn has gone to York for the weekend with her friend, she’s arrived safely & said it’s freez Mum well yes
Moyra hope you ok & the tablets are doing something
We’ve got concrete posts & bases all round for the same reasons as you Chris, wooden ones rot quick & everytime the winds get strong they break.
Lynn hope you are well & Gill is doing ok still
Griff hope you are ok
Losos hope you had a good walk with Casey
Sue sounds like youve been busy already
Twix I’m sure hubby will have fun with the chainsaw
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

19-01-2018, 05:05 PM
Hi Mandy, yes concrete posts are strong and of course don't rot. Don't look so good 'tho. Maybe I am biased as I like wood and use wherever possible.

Casey & Lara went to Knettishal forrest and had a good wander around. They were doing some forrestry work so I had change our normal route, didn't see anyone (apart from the workers)
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2018, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Hi Mandy, yes concrete posts are strong and of course don't rot. Don't look so good 'tho. Maybe I am biased as I like wood and use wherever possible.

Casey & Lara went to Knettishal forrest and had a good wander around. They were doing some forrestry work so I had change our normal route, didn't see anyone (apart from the workers)
Glad you all had a good wander bet it was chilly though
Rosie has hidden herself in the blankets when we got in, as if to say I’m not going out there again
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2018, 09:32 PM
Hi all sorry not been on much had a bad case of labyrinthitis. Better now. Gordonmac missing you and our sparring. Hope all peeps are well or getting better if they have been unwell. Bad grammer but you know what I mean. bg!!