View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
freckles211
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-11-2013, 08:55 PM

Dog Bites Owner - Looking for a good therapist.

Hi all

I am looking for a good dog therapist after my N/mastiff bit me on the arm this morning. I knew why she did it, there was a delivery man at the door so i went to put her in the lounge & told her to stay & she bit my arm & just held it. I didn't pull away or shout I just waited until she let go & then she grabbed my dressing gown & ripped it. She is 2.5yrs old, she has just been spayed, but is always like this with any delivery person, she hates the postman. We have had a post box put on the side of house but she just waits on stairs for him & then tries to rip the letter box off. She has damaged the front door & just go absolutely mad, like she is in this type of frenzy. Once i came back in with package she tried to pull it off me, I just told her no & then that was that.

I just don't understand why she is going for me. This is the 3rd time now. I was talking to the Veterinary nurse today. She came up with 3 possible options; muzzle her 24/7, PTS or therapist. Interestingly she only does it when there is a delivery. If the door was to go now i would tell her to stay & she would be fine.

Any suggestions would be great

Many thanks
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 09:11 PM
Freckles Sorry can't offer any advice,just to say the only option for me would be therapist,sounds like that's the route you've chosen..I wish you well,really hope you can get this sorted(( hugs))
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 09:42 PM
oh Freckles Where in Glos are you? I have a friend that's a vet nurse and she might be able to recommend someone depending on where you are
In the meantime I hope some other dogsey bods come along with links and advice for you!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-11-2013, 09:49 PM
The first think you need to think about is your safety and the safety of those who may come in contact with your dog.

I would make an appointment to see a professional behaviourist and/or vet as soon as possible.

How long have you had this dog and did you have any experience of owning large breeds or bull breeds before getting her? Where did you get her from? How old was she when you got her and when did she start displaying this kind of behaviour?
freckles211
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-11-2013, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
The first think you need to think about is your safety and the safety of those who may come in contact with your dog.

I would make an appointment to see a professional behaviourist and/or vet as soon as possible.

How long have you had this dog and did you have any experience of owning large breeds or bull breeds before getting her? Where did you get her from? How old was she when you got her and when did she start displaying this kind of behaviour?
I have been to the vets today with her to have her stitches out & had a very long conversation with the nurse there who is very knowledgeable. I have had her for roughly 10months. No I have never had a mastiff before & myself & my partner took her on as she was my stepsons dog but unfortunately didnt have the time for her. She only displays this type of behaviour when the postman or delivery man comes. She has always been the same, she wants to get there before you.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-11-2013, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by freckles211 View Post
Hi all

I am looking for a good dog therapist after my N/mastiff bit me on the arm this morning. I knew why she did it, there was a delivery man at the door so i went to put her in the lounge & told her to stay & she bit my arm & just held it. I didn't pull away or shout I just waited until she let go & then she grabbed my dressing gown & ripped it. She is 2.5yrs old, she has just been spayed, but is always like this with any delivery person, she hates the postman. We have had a post box put on the side of house but she just waits on stairs for him & then tries to rip the letter box off. She has damaged the front door & just go absolutely mad, like she is in this type of frenzy. Once i came back in with package she tried to pull it off me, I just told her no & then that was that.

I just don't understand why she is going for me. This is the 3rd time now. I was talking to the Veterinary nurse today. She came up with 3 possible options; muzzle her 24/7, PTS or therapist. Interestingly she only does it when there is a delivery. If the door was to go now i would tell her to stay & she would be fine.

Any suggestions would be great

Many thanks
Hello Amanda , it sounds as though your dog may be getting over excited and frustrated at being unable to get to delivery men and this is being redirected onto you.

I agree with Azz and would speak to your vet as soon as possible about a referral to a behaviourist. This is a list of members of the APBC ...

http://www.apbc.org.uk/help/regions

If you have pet insurance this may cover consultations.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2013, 11:24 PM
I agree with Meg- it does sound like redirection to me too.

However - having said that, I think you need to think long and hard about your dog and getting it sorted out as soon as possible, given her bite history.

good luck

Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Hello Amanda , it sounds as though your dog may be getting over excited and frustrated at being unable to get to delivery men and this is being redirected onto you.

I agree with Azz and would speak to your vet as soon as possible about a referral to a behaviourist. This is a list of members of the APBC ...

JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 11:28 PM
I've got a 4th option, train her not to react to the postman etc
freckles211
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-11-2013, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post

Hi

I do agree as she just goes absolutely berserk & I have said to my partner its almost as though she has got so wound up she has to do something to complete it is that makes sense.
freckles211
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-11-2013, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by Tessabelle View Post
oh Freckles Where in Glos are you? I have a friend that's a vet nurse and she might be able to recommend someone depending on where you are
In the meantime I hope some other dogsey bods come along with links and advice for you!
Hi

I am in the Forest of Dean
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »