Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2013, 05:18 PM

Barking - Neighbours

I've mentioned before how my neighbours like to leave notes for anything and how before they got rid of it they had a dog that barked constantly when they were out.

The aforementioned neighbours (it's a terraced house) have now taken to banging on the wall if Marco barks. If I'm honest I'd say that Marco may do about about 6 single barks a day, usually to let you know he wants to go out, he'll bark once and start pacing or if he wants to play fetch with his toys, he'll give a bark if you don't throw it! He never barks when someone comes to the door or at the postman or anything....would completely fail as a guard dog!

He never barks during the night and we usually wake him in a morning due to our working hours and I know that he doesn't bark while we are out at work or we would definitely been told!!

So I suppose my question is whether it could be seen as a noise nuisance that a dog barks maybe 3 - 6 times a day? I don't think that that is excessive as as a dog all he can do is bark if he wants to let you know something. The neighbours banged on the wall on Saturday the first time (of about 3 barks that day at around 6pm) and I ignored it as wasn't sure what the banging was, I thought they may have been hammering something but then they banged the next day when hubby was playing with Marco and he barked so I went to the wall and banged right back ---probably didn't help but it made me feel better.

Also last night there were loads of fireworks and he barked once all night and that was to go for a wee.

Sorry for the long post but it's really getting to me and I don't want to be in hyper stress mode just because he may occasionally bark.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 05:25 PM
I would not consider that level of barking to be a noise nuisance. I would deal with your neighbours by turning my TV or music up VERY LOUD. Louder than the dog barking and louder than them banging on your wall. (I hate that - how RUDE is that? If you have a problem with someone go and talk to them face to face)

I've only just posted somewhere else on the forum that some people expect dogs never to bark at all. And consider dogs that don't ever bark to be 'very good dogs'. Dogs do bark. Well most of 'em. They can't bluddy TALK can they?
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2013, 05:33 PM
That's how I feel Pat, next door but one to me have 3 or 4 yapping westies and they have never bothered me at all.

I had planned that if they did post a note to put a muddy Marco paw print on it and send it back Might have struggled though as they have these big 5 or 6ft gates on their house (complete with black and brass plaques of their initials) that they lock so nobody can enter their garden, even the postman can't post their letters. I think they think they live in a detached manor set in its own grounds rather than a terraced house (they are the end of a block of four) on a housing estate!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Cath View Post
That's how I feel Pat, next door but one to me have 3 or 4 yapping westies and they have never bothered me at all.

I had planned that if they did post a note to put a muddy Marco paw print on it and send it back Might have struggled though as they have these big 5 or 6ft gates on their house (complete with black and brass plaques of their initials) that they lock so nobody can enter their garden, even the postman can't post their letters. I think they think they live in a detached manor set in its own grounds rather than a terraced house (they are the end of a block of four) on a housing estate!
Oh say no more! LOL!
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2013, 06:31 PM
If these people complained to the dog warden about the barking you might get a visit from them &/or the neighbours would be given a time sheet to fill in when your dog barked.
Are you absolutely sure that your dog doesn't bark during the day? If he doesn't then nothing can be done and the neighbours will just have to live with it and will be told that it isn't a noise nuisance.
You could inform the dog warden about the situation , after all their hammering on the wall might encourage your dog to bark.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 06:35 PM
No one could complain at a dog barking so little. Sounds like you have unreasonable neighbours.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Reading this just peeves me off understandable if your dog was barking all the time but he obviously isn't What's with the banging on the wall? My God,if they believe there is a problem wouldn't it be easier to knock your front door and mention it.Imagine it must be horrible for you,trying to enjoy Marco and having this going on.Do you think it might be the fact that you HAVE a dog,is really what's bothering them..little bit of the green eyed monster
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2013, 10:17 PM
Twix yes I'm sure he doesn't bark, he's only left for two days out of every eight and he has a dog walker on those days and my son comes home for lunch and I always finish work early and none of us have ever heard a bark. He's more than happy when in his crate, he loves a good sleep and to be honest if he did bark while we were out the neighbours in question would definitely let us know.
When the dog we had before, who sadly died, barked when she wasn't well (was the first day of her very loose bowels and we didn't know she was ill) we got a note complaining that same day.

These people just don't talk, they are just very strange.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-11-2013, 12:59 AM
Barking has to be non stop for more than 20 minutes to be a nuisance, I believe there is some sort of monitor installed in these cases to show when the dog barks and how often and how long. So really there is nothing for them to complain about.
My neighbours make me laugh, Ros who lives a few doors away said to me once that Keshi had been howling when I took another 2 out, and I said I'm really sorry about that Ros, she wasn't left on her own, and she said Oh I know that, I went out the back and shouted Shut Up, NOW, and she did!!!! Made me laugh at the thought of it
edith
New Member!
Female 

07-11-2013, 01:41 PM
I would consider reporting your neighbours for their antisocial behaviour. Keep a log of your dog barking, videos would be good proof that it's not excessive, and start a log of their behaviour.

I have heard of many cases of neighbours being problematic over non-excessive barking and the owner has found it helpful to make the council aware. A pre-emptive strike as such, so the council know that if a report is made, it may well be malicious rather than a genuine issue.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >