Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2012, 08:33 AM

Introducing a puppy to an established dog

What are the do's and don'ts?

When you introduced your puppy to your current dog(s)
did it go how you planned it?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Yes, as my current dog (then) loved puppies,
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2012, 09:29 AM
I plonked my puppies in the garden. My older dog came out and sniffed them then went back to bed.

My older dog is excellent with other dogs so there was no need for formal introductions.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-06-2012, 11:04 AM
No problems what so ever ...
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Brought pup in. Plonked it down. Done.
JulieSS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2012, 12:31 PM
When I got the puppy and had an adult dog, I thought about several ways of doing it.
In the end I just went for the easy option, puppy on the ground in the garden, let the adult dog out and let them greet each other.

My adult one was never a mean dog but she was huge (Irish Wolfhound) and could be a bit "rude" to other dogs when greeting and playing, bumping into them and not really caring for their opinions. So that was my only concern, that she would try to vigorously play with the puppy (Australian Shepherd) and scare her, but she wasn't interested. In fact I think she was thinking this puppy business was all a bit yucky and it took her two weeks before she even alloved the puppy to sleep next to her legs, lol.

As long as you know your dog and it is generally alright with other dogs you should have no problem. Don't make a fuss of it .
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Ailsa did a bit of tail wagging and sniffing and then cleared off and continued doing her intense washing and licking of the kitten we had at the same time. Jake used to like to sidle up and lay with Ailsa - she wasn't bothered either way. When he got a little bigger they played together but I kept an eye on things in case Ailsa got a bit too boisterous.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Yep bought pup in put down let dogs go investigate - I was pretty happy they wouldn't eat him ha ha!
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Im not getting a pup for sometime but I might as well do the research of introductions now that way ill know when the time comes.

Millie is very good a little too good at reading other dogs intentions so I know she will get on with a puppy.

Even though she is only a year old Millie has really matured out these last few months.

She gets along great with dogs the only time she gets upset is when they charge at her or are a bit too big and bouncy.

She also seems to really like playing with puppies we come across.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-06-2012, 02:45 PM
i let my pup sniff all the rear ends of my dogs first,one at a time.then the pup was sniffed buy all, as i held the pup.i was able to judge all there reactions,and observe any negitivity,there was some.it helped me curb and focase.the pup was never left alone with the other in question.kn did take a few good knocks in the back yard,getting introduced into the, pack,thats what i call it,respectfully,plunking the pup on the floor was a risky option.i needed proper intros to get off on the right foot and for the safty of the pup.all is well now but they are seperated and managed.there is a strong risk of death to one ,if not seperated.they are able to be in the same space, as long as im there.together they are stressed.my life and situations allow for seperation,its taxing on me but i gave a rescued dog a forever home and do what it take to see him to the end...happy,loved.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >