Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 07:47 AM

Zena vomiting blood in the night

Dave got me up at 2 am saying we had "issues" Zena had been sick twice in the kitchen, it was very stringy, bright pink gooey stuff. She then went outside and did another huge pile of it, and when she came back in her little face was all screwed up, she wasn't well at all.

I rang my vet, coz thankfully, they are an RCVS hospital, so they said to take her straight down there. We took a sample of the bright pink clear vomit.

She had brightened up by this time (of course! but thankfully!) She checked her over, temp ok, stomach very sore, kept licking her lips, so she gave her an anti sicknessd jab. I told her about the first sickness at 5pm when I got home myself before I fed her tea, and explained about these strange bright pink "prawns" in it. She said that could well be stomach lining as it does look like prawns

Brought her home, stayed up with her since 3.30, she's slept, but is still not right. I asked for some ab's in case it was some kind of bug she's picked up which she said it COULD be, but she also seems to think it's related to that sensitive tum of hers, the one that has been making her chuck up her food at the start of eating it. Worms it cannot be, because she has been wormed every 3 months, and although yes, these could be the same symptoms, she said you would expect this of a heavy worm burden which Zena couldn't possibly have. But what IF, I'm not killing them all off each time I worm? Dunno.

I've got some special medicine which will coat her stomach one hour before meals, and God only knows what's gonna happen when I feed her this morning coz she just isn't right, she's very sorry for herself. I might make some scrambled egg or fish on its own perhaps.

I'm not taking her out either, I want her to stay nice and quiet, we've got to go out at 9 to the solicitors, so will be leaving her alone, but if she's not right, then I'll be taking her with us and I will take her straight to the vets. Now in a quandry as to whether feed or anything or not, although I've been told to?

Oh bladdy hell this is not good, and I did notice she wasn't herself since Friday morning, although still bouncy and happy most of the time, there were times when I know she felt sick, and she did throw up on me at the start of one of her meals this week-end too, but of course, seeing as that comes and goes I never really took it as such a bad thing as we have now.

You may remember a few months ago, she produced a poo like this, with a massive pile of glutonous bright pink jelly on the top of it, which I rushed straight down to the vets, had it examined, they found nothing Now it seems, we've got it the other end, which the vet said is a lot, lot more serious. Endescope was mentioned if no improvement.

Just been outside to look further at the last pile of vomit, and it's sooooooo stringy, like phlegm, and really red My poor baby
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Oh H, I am so sorry to hear about Zena, what a worry for you with everything else going on too.
I hope she soon starts to feel much better, hopefully its just a bug she has picked up. ((((hugs))) to you and gentle hugs to Zena. Kyiro and Lily send kisses too xxx
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 07:56 AM
Oh no.. Poor Zena! Poor you!

Selkie had such a sensitive tum and many a day was spent on poo watch or vom watch waiting for her system to regulate again. She had this sort of red vomit a couple of times when she was adolescent. She had bloat once as well, I learned to keep a feel and massage of her abdomen looking for lumps bumps and swellings. Straight to the vet if things were odd.

Things did settle by the time she was about 5yrs... but until then she ate mostly frozen fish, chicken and rice and JWB or Skinner salmon and rice kibble. She had three light meals a day, frozen fish in the morning, handful of kibble and rice for lunch and chicken and other handful of kibble for dinner... after 5 yrs or so things settled enough for 2 meals and we cut out the frozen fish except for treats.

Big huggles for Zena girl. I hope her tum settles soon.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Oh poor Zena . I do hope she settles and soon starts to feel better.

If the vet has said feed her, then I would, but I never starve anyway. Personally, I'd go with scrambled egg or maybe a little boiled chicken (if she isn't intolerant to it), but that's just me.

Go with your gut feeling. You know her best and although you're probably feeling a bit lost at what to do right now, let that instinct go to work.

Bless her, that tum of hers really does give her a problem. I wish they could get to the bottom of it for her x
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 08:32 AM
So sorry to hear this Helena, what a worry for you. Poor Zena, give her a big hug from us. If you make it to the solicitors, you come straight back home and you and Zena try and get some rest. I'm guessing poor Dave will have to get back to work though.

You guys really could do with a break from all of the stress and upset you have had recently.xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 08:46 AM
Thanks guys, she ate some fish I cooked, I got the ab tablets down her with some sardine, and we're taking her with us to the solicitors, she can wait in the car, I'd rather that, than leave her home alone, because if she comes with me on my shopping trip afterwards, then I can take her straight back to the vet if she's sick again

She's very quiet, and I won't be taking her out to get her all hyped up that's for sure today.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Poor Zena I hope the meds make her feel better and you don't have a repeat of this again - always such a worry with dogs. You have all been through the 'mill' lately and goodness you deserve a break, it's just not far!!
Hugs to Zena and everything is crossed she gets well very quickly.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 08:56 AM
How scary! Poor Zena. Could she have picked something up on her walk yesterday?

I hope she improves today.
xxx
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Poor Zena.I hope she's better quickly.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 09:08 AM
My heart sank when I read this. You have been through so much recently. You really deserve a break. I hope it is short-lived and Zena is back to her bouncy self very soon.

Hugs
Irena
xxxxx
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »