Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-06-2009, 08:05 PM

Suggestions please

Right......not my usual topic of conversation but I need some suggestions I know some of you have kids..... so thought you may be able to help us out.

For those of you who dont know, I have 2 younger half brothers on my Dads side, they are 8 and 10 years old. Now my Dad is a bit of a tight wad and would not let me splash out and treat them to nice pressies - I think he has always been worried that I would show him up. So instead of gifts I got around it by taking them on birthday trips for the last few years.

We have done everything from Safari parks - Theme Parks, The London Aquarium, Ice Skating, dog stuff with my gang etc.

Sams birthday is coming up and im struggling for ideas this year. Money is tighter than usual for obvious reasons since I went self employed and im trying to be inventive and come up with something exciting.

Im basically trying to give them as many experiences as I can whilst they are still young. Things that they will not have done before etc as my Dad is not the most adventurous/generous when it comes to activities (I can say this having grown up with him doing the same thing over and over)

Possibles are going out on a friends boat and letting them try wakeboarding and driving the boat.....but they are not great swimmers so im dubious OR maybe a ghost tour of Oxford before a sleep over at mine with the dogs and maybe a midnight feast. Neither idea is really grabbing me as the right one though.

Dougie (my hubby) and I have just spent the last few hours racking our brains as to what we can do/who we know that might be able to help out and then i had the brainwave that I would ask on here for ideas

All suggestions welcome......knock yourselves out. Exciting ideas on a shoestring
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-06-2009, 08:10 PM
I haven't got kids or younger siblings, but what about the Walking with Dinosaurs shows that are on at the O2 arena and somewhere else I think (I know that may be a bit costly I imagine), I saw the ad on tv and it looks amazing.

I was also thinking of Go Ape, but I think they have age restrictions.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2009, 08:20 PM
What about a camping trip with fishing involved or something?

Do you collect Clubcard points as you could swap those in for Day Out vouchers as well?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Hiya
what about fruit picking at a local farm and combine it with a treasure hunt for a special birthday toy or something.

Or this website might give you some ideas
http://www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks.

I have just looked at the Walking with Dinosaurs and think that they would love it, unfortunately i cant stretch to the £30 per ticket and travelling expenses for the 4 of us.

Camping may be an idea, although Sam the youngest gets spooked by the outside noises.....so maybe a tent in the garden so he can escape inside.

Keep the ideas coming they are all very much appreciated.
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-06-2009, 08:40 PM
The boat sounds great - perhaps the Wakeboarding might not be such a good idea if they are not strong swimmers, but I bet they would love a go at driving and then perhaps moor up for a picnic.

Go Ape is an excellent idea for boys of that age.

Paint-balling?

Trip up to London to the Natural History//Science Museum (both free and both really excellent).

I will keep thinking ...
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Again thanks.

That link is great......ive had a look and punting could be quite fun (we are Oxford based)...i'll keep browsing.

Those were my thoughts with the wakeboarding. Both boys love water but due to lack of opportunity to practice they are not great swimmers - of course they would have lifejackets on though.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by RRmum View Post
The boat sounds great - perhaps the Wakeboarding might not be such a good idea if they are not strong swimmers, but I bet they would love a go at driving and then perhaps moor up for a picnic.

Go Ape is an excellent idea for boys of that age.

Paint-balling?

Trip up to London to the Natural History//Science Museum (both free and both really excellent).

I will keep thinking ...
Ooooo, I love going there!!!
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-06-2009, 08:50 PM
How far are you form Windsor?
How about the Changing of the Guard? There's also Legoland somewhere round there.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2009, 08:58 PM
What about Laser Rush or something like that - bit like paintballing except less messy ! although being boys they'd probably like getting messy, mine do.

Fishing would be good, you can get cheap junior rods in Argos for about £15 or maybe you could borrow some ? great on a nice day, you could take a picnic.

What about planes, Duxford is a great day out, i even liked it and i'm not a planes fan really. Not sure how far that is from Oxford ? My two boys are about the same ages 7 and 11 and they loved it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >