Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-01-2018, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
He was on his way to post a letter. It was an order for dog food. No problem but it did surprise me that he was doing it by snail mail. In 2018. We do almost all our shopping on line. Groceries, clothing, dog food......
'evening Besoeker

I know what you're saying and we do stuff 'on line' if we can't buy it locally. But I have to say I am not impressed with all the techno speak so called 'experts' that pop up on TV whenever there is yet another hacker headline.

The 'talking heads' that apperaed after the 'Talk Talk' fiasco didn't impress me one bit and the 'Action Fraud' rep who was recently giving evidence to some parlimentary committee was a joke and alongside her some Police Cyber Crime rep saying "Oh dear it's all teribly complicated" etc. and the banking rep talking about accounts being 'taken over' etc.

The plain fact is that the so called experts are loosing the battle, the hackers and fraudsters are making gains all the time.

I try to avoid ordering on line if at all possible. When I do it I try to check the supplier out but it's not easy, many of them have no physical address (Amazon is an example) nor is there a phone number, and often the e-mail is an automated one so you never know if anyone is going to read it.

I am thinking that soon we might have to revert to 'snail mail'
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-01-2018, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
'evening Besoeker

I know what you're saying and we do stuff 'on line' if we can't buy it locally. But I have to say I am not impressed with all the techno speak so called 'experts' that pop up on TV whenever there is yet another hacker headline.

The 'talking heads' that apperaed after the 'Talk Talk' fiasco didn't impress me one bit and the 'Action Fraud' rep who was recently giving evidence to some parlimentary committee was a joke and alongside her some Police Cyber Crime rep saying "Oh dear it's all teribly complicated" etc. and the banking rep talking about accounts being 'taken over' etc.

The plain fact is that the so called experts are loosing the battle, the hackers and fraudsters are making gains all the time.

I try to avoid ordering on line if at all possible. When I do it I try to check the supplier out but it's not easy, many of them have no physical address (Amazon is an example) nor is there a phone number, and often the e-mail is an automated one so you never know if anyone is going to read it.

I am thinking that soon we might have to revert to 'snail mail'
Well, yes there are fraudulent fraudsters, charlatan shysters, and jargon junkies out there. So, here we are chatting on an internet site for dog lovers. You know I am one with a big black and white beast that I'm sure you have seen pictures of him. Handsome and well-behaved - just a gentleman.

But it could all be fabricated bull turds couldn't it?
Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not for a moment suggesting that you see it that way. But I'm sure you get my point.

As I said, we do most of our shopping on line. To an extent you have to take it on trust and just be aware that there will be some to try to rip you off. And you take care about what information you choose to divulge and to whom.

My dear wife got a new pair of walking boots today. Quite expensive but worth it. They are from a supplier we have used before but the on-line price was a little better than in store. And it saved us a 50-mile round trip.

But that's just us. Our modus operandi.
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2018, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Hi Twix
"It was Tarmac who was mentioned who then, in my case, got transferred to a company called Ruberoid"

I'll do some research as well, going from memory I don't think they were part of Carillion but as OH often tells me my memory is a joke then best not take it as definite

ETA
Good news Twix
Tarmac plc are part of the CRH Group which is based in Dublin. Tarmac itself is still trading from their Solihull base and apart from supplying Carillion they have no other connections so your pension should be safe for now.

Can't find anything on Rubberoid as a seperate company.
Many thanks for that Losos and all what you said was confirmed by the pension chap so I’m relieved.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3