Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kate@b
New Member!
Female 

10-01-2018, 11:01 PM

Training a border collie that’ hyper active

Good day
I have a border collie that is extremely hyper active in the sense that makes my previous border collies look lazy. I take my dog for two walks a day combined with frisbee throwing our walks total about 4km a day excluding the extra running he does with the frisbe. His well nature but I’m struggling to train him to do basic commands he doesn’t seem to want any treats and when I use his toy he become only focused on the toy. He is one years old now. when he was a puppy his training with treats worked well and he knows the basic commands but know I can’t seem to get his focus and he won’t “listen”.

I’ve tired to train him ,how I trained my previous border collies but been unsuccessful if anyone can give me advice on how to get his attention please let me know

Thanks
Kate
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-01-2018, 02:01 AM
Originally Posted by Kate@b View Post
Good day
I have a border collie that is extremely hyper active in the sense that makes my previous border collies look lazy. I take my dog for two walks a day combined with frisbee throwing our walks total about 4km a day excluding the extra running he does with the frisbe. His well nature but I’m struggling to train him to do basic commands he doesn’t seem to want any treats and when I use his toy he become only focused on the toy. He is one years old now. when he was a puppy his training with treats worked well and he knows the basic commands but know I can’t seem to get his focus and he won’t “listen”.

I’ve tired to train him ,how I trained my previous border collies but been unsuccessful if anyone can give me advice on how to get his attention please let me know

Thanks
Kate
I'm not sure that 4km a day is enough for a collie. We got ours when he a year old. We routinely did 10 miles a day or more. That's about 16km. Or klicks as I've heard you guys call them....... Well, that's what we did - he ran about off the lead so would have done much more than that chasing birds and squirrels and investigating woodlands. Playing with other dogs....

Training - we didn't do much. He just learns. I don't exactly know how but he a calm, gentle fellow. Maybe we just got lucky.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2018, 08:50 AM
Exercise is not the issue here it is more brain work and being careful of what food you are feeding.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-01-2018, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
Exercise is not the issue here it is more brain work and being careful of what food you are feeding.
I think they both are.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2018, 06:37 PM
Border collies are extremely clever. Yes, they need exercise, but they also need to be mentally stimulated as well.

Training them to specific tasks can be great fun, but you need to keep the training fast paced. In other words, repetition is a bore for the collie, but they do love to learn new things.

Mix it up when training. Keep it fun, keep it fast.

Also keep the delivery of treats fun and fast and don't expect that giving from the hand will do. Sometimes toss the treat, sometimes use a toy, sometimes use food, sometimes use play, sometimes use cuddles. As with the training, mix it up and keep him guessing.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-01-2018, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Border collies are extremely clever. Yes, they need exercise, but they also need to be mentally stimulated as well.

Training them to specific tasks can be great fun, but you need to keep the training fast paced. In other words, repetition is a bore for the collie, but they do love to learn new things.

Mix it up when training. Keep it fun, keep it fast.

Also keep the delivery of treats fun and fast and don't expect that giving from the hand will do. Sometimes toss the treat, sometimes use a toy, sometimes use food, sometimes use play, sometimes use cuddles. As with the training, mix it up and keep him guessing.

Does that work on wives as well???
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2018, 11:08 PM
Nah, all you have to do with wives is love 'em and treat them like the princesses they are. Do everything they ask you to do and remember they are always right