Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
As for the debate about aversion methods vs reward methods involving 'treats'. I'm VERY OLD. And have never used reward treat methods to train any dog I've owned. They weren't on the menu 30 or more years ago. Positive praise is the method I use. YES it takes longer - a lot longer (and it does require constant and DAILY reinforcement - no way I could have done what Gnasher says she will do with this DA Black Lab for the aggression stuff - wait for a day or time convenient to me becoz I'm 'busy' - it's a daily all day ongoing process and you keep it up every day even when it isn't 'needed'. But it then works even if you don't have a pocketful of dried liver. Or a dog that isn't interested in treats or hardly even interested in eating its dinner! (I've had two of those - my Bella is one of them) but then I don't really care if it takes me a WHOLE YEAR to train my dog to a good recall. Once she's got it, she's got it for good, reinforced every day even if never needed. And all she need is a GOOD GIRL Bella and a tickle on her chest. I'd rather stick a needle in my EYE than give my dog an electric shock.
You are using reward based training by praising them when they do what you want, it isn't just treats, many dogs won't work for treats but will for other things like praise, a game, throw a ball etc. The dog has to think it is a reward not us. Some humans thing curling up in front of the TV on a good night with a bottle of wine and box of chocolates are a treat, others prefer a bath with scented candles to relax with is a much better reward.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Well that is why the law is an ass then because the e collar cannot work if you do not have the remote in your pocket - ipso facto, you are not breaking the law.
But Gnasher as I said, I think you may be found to be breaking the law - your interpretation may not be the interpretation of the law...
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2013, 11:33 PM
Well, in my opinion they are. They are very very different from non-wolf crosses.

Our perimeter fence in our garden is a herringbone style. You can see through it - the gaps are big enough for a chihuahua to squeeze through, but not Ben or Tai of course. But they can see through - and see Ben did when our neighbours came past with their black labrador and golden retriever.
So my question still stands..........why did he jump the fence and attack this dog? You have stated that he only "kicks off" when another dog is acting aggressively towards him
I don't buy into the whole Alpha, dominance rubbish (i'm certain my dogs are intelligent enough to not confuse me as a 5' 8" hairless dog) however, i know you love to think its true, so if thats the case, and YOU are the Alpha Leader of your "pack", add to that the wolfie in your dogs........why do they not respect you more surely if you had such an elevated level, they would never question what you require of them, and would always look to you for leadership instead of taking matters into their own paws
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2013, 07:30 AM
Gnasher has said several times that Ben doesn't need the collar now, if this is true why is she prepared to break the law if these collars are made illegal.

The man who first done the research on wolves now says he got it wrong, it was done with captive wolves not wild ones. The pack theory in wolves and dogs doesn't exist but Gnasher is still using it with her dogs. Unfortunately she went to a man who hasn't kept up to date with dogs and training them.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

06-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Gnasher has said several times that Ben doesn't need the collar now, if this is true why is she prepared to break the law if these collars are made illegal.

The man who first done the research on wolves now says he got it wrong, it was done with captive wolves not wild ones. The pack theory in wolves and dogs doesn't exist but Gnasher is still using it with her dogs. Unfortunately she went to a man who hasn't kept up to date with dogs and training them.
That is my point as well.

An appropriately qualified behaviuorust should have been sought via vet referral.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

06-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Surely yes Hal, Ben's father, was 4th generation. Making Ben 5th. Very watered down, but still there.

We fostered an F1 pup for a few weeks - Bruce - at 9 weeks old. He was a character.

He learned from watching us just once how to get ice on the refrigerator. He would jump up, push down and hold his paw firmly on the trigger, and bounce with excitement as all the ice cubes came tumbling out!! And he would wake me up in the morning by biting my nose. I still have to pinch myself to think I used to sleep with an F1 wolf.
F1, is that legal in the UK?
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

06-11-2013, 09:59 AM
It is indeed. If you are capable of handling them and rolling with the punches, you can have an amazing dog and an amazing life, but they are too much for most people.
But surely clearly too much for you if you need an e-collar?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-11-2013, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
hit the nail on the head me thinks .
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 10:02 AM
F1, is that legal in the UK?

They are selling for under £500 on preloved website, seem to be coming over from Ireland from what I can see.

Indeed my thoughts too.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2013, 10:26 AM
This was posted a friend on [a social network], she is a really good trainer, it also mentioned training wolves in it
Page 34 of 44 « First < 24 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 > Last »