Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-08-2013, 07:07 AM

Badger cull begins THIS Monday

Defra have confirmed . NFU has taken out an injunction to ban protesters from badger cull land... they want the right to kill badgers without scrutiny or harassment.

North Korea springs to mind
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2013, 11:42 AM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whatever happened to democracy? To freedom of speech? To the right to peaceful demonstration?

I'm off to google
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2013, 11:45 AM
NFU applies for injunction against badger cull protestors
20 August 2013 | By Alistair Driver

THE NFU has applied to the High Court for an injunction it says is necessary to protect farmers and landowners from badger cull protesters.

Licences to commence six-week pilot badger culls over 300sq.km areas in West Gloucestershire and West Somerset became valid from June 1.

Culling in at least one of the two areas is expected to get underway soon, although Defra and the NFU are refusing to comment on the timings, in line with the policy of seeking to protect farmers in the cull areas. Some have already been subjected to threats and intimidation from activists, prompting the NFU to seek the injunction.

In a statement, NFU president Peter Kendall said: “We have applied for the injunction in response to various incidents of harassment and intimidation carried out against farmers and landowners by activists opposed to the badger cull.

“The application was made against a number of defendants and we hope that the High Court will hear our application shortly.”

The application for the injunction, sought under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997, is due to be heard by the High Court on Thursday.

Mr Kendall insisted there was no link between the timing of the application, which he said had NFU lawyers had been working on for some time, and the start of the culls.

An NFU spokesman said the start dates will be decided by the two companies in Gloucestershire and Somerset who will carry out the badger control pilots. “Start dates will not be confirmed for security reasons and we will not be commenting on speculation,” he said.

A Defra spokesman said the timing of the cull ‘was a decision for the cull licence holders’. “It is not for Defra to confirm or deny speculation about dates,” he said.

Since the pilot culls areas were announced early last year, animal rights activists have targeted farmers in and around the areas with threatening phone calls, letters and emails in a bid to force farmers to drop out.

Mr Kendall said resolve remained strong among farmers within the areas. “Whenever I have been down to the cull areas and I have spoken to farmers who have been intimnidated, the message I have had is that these people are determined that this needs to happen and are determined to stick togteher,” he told Farmers Guardian.

Activists have also threatened to disrupt the culls once they get underway. In an interview with Farmers Guardian, Jay Tiernan, a spokesman for the activists said: “The moment we know [the cull is happening], we would expect 200 or 300 people within the cull zone.

He said activists would position themselves at crossroads to try to identify vehicles driven by marksmen and then follow the ones they suspect.

“When we know where culling is taking place we will have a guy on top of a hill. He will be using binoculars with night vision and if he can see someone who looks like they are going to kill a badger, he will contact groups of people,” Mr Tiernan said.

He claimed activists would use ‘very bright’ LED torches, vuvuzelas and MP3 player amplifiers to produce noise ‘to let shooters know they are in the vicinity’.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2013, 12:03 PM
Makes me feel sick to think about it We know it doesn't work, how dare we just do what we want to God's creatures like this, it's abhorant and sickening One minute they're a protected species (I'm sure I read or heard that they were), and yet some people have the right (or they think they have! ) to cull them

Then the day will come when they realise it isn't the poor badgers afterall. Bluddy farmers!!!! Why can't they put their hands in their pockets and get their animals vaccinated against tb!!!!

I'm outta here before I go off on one.....
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2013, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Makes me feel sick to think about it We know it doesn't work, how dare we just do what we want to God's creatures like this, it's abhorant and sickening One minute they're a protected species (I'm sure I read or heard that they were), and yet some people have the right (or they think they have! ) to cull them

Then the day will come when they realise it isn't the poor badgers afterall. Bluddy farmers!!!! Why can't they put their hands in their pockets and get their animals vaccinated against tb!!!!

I'm outta here before I go off on one.....
They are indeed a protected species - however, it is a case of "some are more protected than others" (aka Animal Farm!!). They are a protected species, but only when it suits it would seem.

I think there is little doubt that the badgers do certainly contribute to the spread of TB, at the very least. However, so do birds and doubtless many other species including our own. In addition, even if badgers are found to be the sole and only cause, it would be impossible to kill every single badger. There would always be one or more who would escape, terrified, to flee far away and thus spread the disease.

Culling is not an option. Vaccination is, although expensive and difficult.

Easiest of all of course would be to breed TB resistant cattle - instead of inbreeding pedigree cows with less and less resistance to the disease.

But that would be too obvious wouldn't it
spot
Dogsey Veteran

28-08-2013, 09:31 PM
At the end of the day these farmers will not be satisfied until England is a totally sanistised country with pretty much no wildlife left at all. Of course then they will moan about US killing all the bees.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-08-2013, 12:33 AM
I'm on the fence with this one.

I'm an animal lover but I've also had a farming / game keeping upbringing.

In terms of the cull I can see both sides of the argument.

I've yet to make my mind up about it but, I feeel that's because I'm a little more clued up than all those folk that just feel shocked by the idea of a fluffy animal cull.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2013, 06:18 AM
I'm very anti it. It's not just about killing fluffy things, it's about needless distruction just to get votes by being seen to be doing something about it, even though the science behind it seems to be extremely dubious. Just because something is cheaper it doesn't mean its right. Give it a few years and the government will be trying to figure out what to do about the massive rise in insect, slug and snail numbers ruining crops...but its ok because they'll kill those too with insecticides ....and then want to spend lots of money on researching why Britains bird life is in decline.

The Welsh Assembly are refusing to do it.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2013, 06:25 AM
Oh and then of course we'll have the campaign to bring back the badger..because they've realised the lack of them detrimental.

Just smacks of another thing this government is going ahead and doing just because it can...a show of power.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2013, 06:45 AM
Apparently they will have to continue the cull for 30 years as has happened in Australia to make a difference .
I am totally against it . When they have killed all the badgers what species will be targeted next . Other species carry the disease too including deer , rats and even cats .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >